RC parish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC parish records

Can anyone point me to a site/any info where there are images of what baptism, marriage and burial register entries look like from a RC church from the 1800s, please?

Am v.familiar with the CoE ones, and am wondering if the RC ones look any different.

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Have only seen transcriptions and they had names in latin or latinised versions eg carolus for charles.
    Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
      Have only seen transcriptions and they had names in latin or latinised versions eg carolus for charles.
      I think I might have to go looking for some baptisms (1864-1872), and wondered if they used something similar to the pre-printed forms that the CoE used, or whether they had a similar form that gave more info, or whether they were free-hand registers where you got whatever level of detail the priest chose to record?

Edited to say: Am talking about England.
      Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 01-11-13, 15:15.

Comment

The single RC one I have includes the names of the godfather & godmother - one of each, unlike the C of E which usually had 3 godparents ( 2 of the same sex of the child and one of the other sex)

ETA - it also included a place for the priest to add the marriage location of the parents. Unfortunately in my case this was NOT added - it was the one piece of information I've been trying to find for over 20 yrs!!:(

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-11-13, 15:24.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
          There are some from Liverpool on Ancestry

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...F0003A49-int=1
          Thanks Jackie, but that link just takes me to the card catalogue.

Edited to say: I made up a name and so, found what might be a typical entry. Thanks.
          Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 01-11-13, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            ETA - it also included a place for the priest to add the marriage location of the parents. Unfortunately in my case this was NOT added - it was the one piece of information I've been trying to find for over 20 yrs!!:(

Jay
            Oh, don't you just hate it when that happens! :(

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
              Thanks Jackie, but that link just takes me to the card catalogue.
              Do you have an Ancestry Sub? If so, put Liverpool Catholic in the database title in the card catalogue and you should get 4 different sets come up
              Jackie

Comment

Yes, sorted it now thanks. I did edit my other post, but it probably crossed with yours.

Thanks

Comment

You don`t need Ancestry sub
                  to see a list of names and how they are spelt in Latin - go to
                  This website is for sale! liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Roman Catholic Marriages
                  1837 - 1901
                  obviously Liverpool had a HUGE Irish influx - so as an example - put in an Irish surname like Carrol ...

Roman Catholic Baptisms
                  sadly the Baptisms only go 1883 - 1900
                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
                  X