James Cooper & Frances Northway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Cooper & Frances Northway

Hope someone can make sense of this as I am getting more confused the more I look at this.
    I have Amy Cooper who marries Oswald Northway 1828 Thatcham.
    Oswald has a daughter Frances who marries Daniel Alway 1817 Thatcham. I have Frances up to her death in 1869 still as Frances Alway.
    My dilemma is that on Oswalds will there is a James Cooper stated as son in law.There is marriage of a James Cooper to a Frances Northway in 1819 Thatcham,however Frances ( Alway ) is still with Daniel.
    I have found a birth for a James Cooper 1794 Chievley,Berkshire the son of Thomas Cooper & Amy. Do you think it possible that the James Cooper in Oswald's will is the son of Amy and therefore his stepson & not his son in law ?
    To further complicate things I cannot find another Frances Northway to put with James.
    Hope this all makes some kind of sense.

Paul

Confused by the statement ... "Oswald has a daughter Frances who marries in 1817"
    This would give an estimated birth year for Frances of mid 1790s, which would mean that Oswald (if he is her father) would have an estimated birth year of early 1770s.
    Yet you say Oswald married in 1828 - when he would have been coming up to 60 years of age.

Do you know for sure that the 1828 is the marriage of Oswald (born c1770s) and not a different Oswald, maybe the son of Oswald senior?
    Elaine

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry which shows a Fanny (Frances) Northway, married to James Cooper.
      Frances is shown as being born c1800 in Thatcham, daughter of John Northway and Elizabeth Adams.
      Elaine

Comment

You may have seen these trees on Ancestry - another one

Against the marriage of Frances Northway & James Cooper
        THERE IS ALSO AN EARLIER MARRIAGE TO DANIEL ALWAY. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT HE DIED. I AM FAIRLY SURESHE MARRIED COOPER SINCE SHE IS WITH HIM STAYING WITH HER PARENTS IN 1851 ALTHOUGH THEY ARE CALLED VISITORS.
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,sorry for the confusion Frances Northway (Alway ) is the daughter of Oswald from his first marriage to Sarah Fisher (1752-1825).I should have said that in Oswalds will he makes reference to his daughter Frances wife of Daniel Alway,the will being made in 1832.
          I will have to look at the trees you mention as that John Northway is France's brother b1775 married Elizabeth Adlams 1799.I have two of their children William b.1814 & another Oswald b.1818 . William is my ggg greatgrandfather.
          Still trying work out if James Cooper who marries Frances is Amy's son.
          Sorry for the confusion but I seem to be tying myself up in all manner of knots!

Paul

Comment

"Son in law" had a much wider meaning than it does now and could indeed mean step son. Marriage made one person out of two, so your wife's son was your son too "in law".

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, thought that maybe the case. Would you think that James could be Amy's son then?
              Paul

Comment

Yes, could be - but you need more proof than me thinking he could be, lol.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC,I will look into James further to find definite proof of parentage.
                  Thanks again Elaine,will look further into Frances Northway (Cooper).

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X