Richard Stolworthy XXXXX of North Elmham was buried 7 April 1730

Richard Stolworthy bur Gateley 7 Apr 1730 2.jpg

All suggestions welcome!

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Calebs?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

caelebs = unmarried/bachelor
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you both. I couldn't find a translation for caelebs. (I can see it now, with its similarity to celibate)

Bachelor puts a dampener on things :( I had expected him to be a married man, as I'd found who I thought was his wife buried in the same village as a widow in 1745/6.
        So, perhaps it's back to the drawing board for both of them.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

to Antony. I've learned a new word today. I thought I'd seem most common Latin words in registers but not this one. I might have thought it was a name. Thank you!

Thinking about that .... is there a list available somewhere for there common Latin words in registers, please?

Anne

Comment

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/LatinNotes.html is quite useful for the basic vocabulary most often seen.

Or the book "Latin for Family and Local Historians" by Denis Stuart is a good reference guide (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Latin-Local-.../dp/1860773850)
            Last edited by AntonyM; 29-10-13, 12:04.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you. I've bookmarked that page!
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                Thank you. I've bookmarked that page! Anne
                In case you ever lose it, that page and some others can also be found on our Translations page:

Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I'm really indebted to Antony and his knowledge.
                  It serves as a good example of how important it is to check, check and check again.
                  Someone shared with me a report produced some years ago by a professional researcher. The above burial was attributed to Richard, "who didn't leave a will but administration
                  of his estate was granted to Richard's widow in April 1730."
                  It's so lucky that I checked the burial date in the Norfolk ATs and came across that mystery word. As a bachelor wouldn't leave a widow, I've had a look in the Norfolk record office online catalogue and have discovered a 1724 grant of administration for the affairs of a Richard Stolworthy and a corresponding 1724/5 inventory for probate. No mention of 1730.

So, records for two different men; one who died in 1724, and another who was buried in a nearby parish in 1730.
                  I suspect they were father and son, but that's just MY opinion. On Ancestry trees, the world and his wife record Richard, a married man and a father, as buried in 1730.

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-10-13, 14:22.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just to absolutely clear - the word means "unmarried" . I put bachelor alongside as that is the term we would use for an unmarried male, if he were a widower then the Latin word to look for would be vidduus.

BUT ...you do also need to look out for registers where the vicar/priest or register writer may not always be absolutely "correct" with the Latin they use.

Comment

I was aware of viduus - but that wouldn't have applied as the Richard I'm investigating was a married man with a living spouse.

Whilst I'm used to the usual family relationship words, this was the first time ever I'd encountered caelebs. I'm wondering if the vicar used the word to distinguish between the deceased father and his mature unmarried son, or if he was just showing off. (Note that he also latinised North.)

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                      X