Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Liverpool Birth

Hi
    Am I in the right section to ask for help in looking for a birth that has frustrated for years...It is my Grandfathers, I have sent off on three occasions but told I am asking for the wrong one.
    James Murray born 1890 Liverpool Lancashire died 6 March 1964 Liverpool Lancashire aged 74 yrs (from head stone)
    Parents Thomas Murray b 1847 and Sarah Hyslop b 1857 (has been spelt Hislop).
    Also how do I go further on my greatest so far grandfather Joseph Gibson b about 1750/1752 (can not find the birth) Liverpool Lancashire as far as I can guess, I have his marriage and his children...Can this be found on Ancestry as I have a subscription. Any help would so be appreciated.
    Regards
    Colin

There is a birth for James Murray, Sep.Qtr.1890 W. Derby. 8b 461
    This looks as if it is the only one for 1890. The year previous there are 3 James Murray (1889), on from W.Derby Rural, one from Toxteth Park and one for Wavertree.
    Vonny

Comment

How old is he on the 1891 census?

There are several ways you can proceed with this. I believe the GRO will do a search for you if you give parents names. Do remember though, that they will match your info EXACTLY, so if his father was Tom and you say he was Thomas, you won't get the cert.

You could also request the cert from the local RO (Liverpool) stating that his parents' names are blah blah - but again, you will only get the cert which EXACTLY matches what you ask for.

OC

Comment

There is a birth for James Murray, Sep.Qtr.1890 W. Derby. 8b 461
        This looks as if it is the only one for 1890. The year previous there are 3 James Murray (1889), on from W.Derby Rural, one from Toxteth Park and one for Wavertree.
        Vonny

Comment

This is the only James Gibson I can find b.1750
          Baptism: 11 Nov 1750 St Mary, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire, England
          James Gibson - Son of Edmond Gibson
          Abode: Barrow
          Register: Baptisms 1750-1780 from Bishop's Transcripts, Page 1, Entry 35
          Source: LDS Film 1040303
          And this is one for 1752
          Baptism: 11 Aug 1752 St Wilfrid, Standish, Lancashire, England
          James Gibson - Son of Thomas Gibson & Ann
          Abode: Blackrod
          Baptised by: E. Smalley, Curate
          Register: Baptisms 1733 - 1771, Page 75, Entry 2
          Source: LDS Film 1526140
          I hope these may help.
          Vonny

Comment

When you order the certificates are you adding a checking point of parents' names?

- or if you telephone the local Records Office you may get someone "extra helpful" on the phone and can explain what it is you are looking for and ask whether they could do a look up for the correct one.

Presuming I have found the correct census entry for 1891 (taken on 5th April) James is shown as being aged 1. If this is correct it would mean his birth date was between 6th April 1889 and 5th April 1890.
            Elaine

Comment

This is the marriage for James Murray and Sarah Hyslop
              HYSLOP Sarah Liverpool 8b 27
              Murray Thomas Liverpool 8b 27

Vonny

Comment

Hi
                Thanks for the responses...
                All the above I have come up with and on the one occasion I did ring the record office, I didn't get much help, will try again, More confusing now after re-looking at his Marriage Banns (he married in 1909 Dec ) and in the 1911 census which he calls himself Henry James Murray and down as being married one year. BUT on both he is aged 22. Last year I spoke to my Uncle whom is getting on and the only surviving member of the family, he cant remember his birthday and has no documents for his father, James seems to be a bit of a character from the stories I have heard...Henry is not on the Marriage Banns nor on his Headstone, was he hiding something ?

Comment

Originally posted by scouse007 View Post
                  All the above I have come up with and on the one occasion I did ring the record office, I didn't get much help, will try again
                  A matter of terminology - did you mean that you contacted the Register Office? The Records Office (county archives) don't hold BMD records.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

On the 1911 he is a seaman (if I've got the right man). Have you looked on FMP at the Merchant Navy records? I don't have a sub at the moment but when I did, the mariners I looked at gave an actual date of birth. This may help to narrow it down
                    Jackie

Comment

Hi
                      Thanks for the latest info....I will have to wait until I go to the Records Office in Liverpool and will have to pop into the register office...
                      Regards
                      Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X