How can I find out more information ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find out more information ?

From Family Search I've found the death of an Elizabeth Bradley in January 1819 in Notts in the Non Conformist Register....how can I find out more about her ?
    Last edited by greyingrey; 28-10-13, 15:17.

A starting point would be to get a copy of the entry in the burial register to see if it gives age/abode etc.
    Elaine

Comment

You can probably find out more at bmdregisters.co.uk but not for free I'm sorry to say. The burial you've mentioned is there (although without an exact date it may not be the same one). The only (free) detail that is not in the familysearch detail is an explanation of the TNA reference
      RG4/1351
      Register of Births at George Street Particular Baptist Chapel in the Parish of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire from 1742 to 1837, with a Register of Burials from 1785 to 1837

Comment

Thank you both. Elaine, can I get a copy even though I have no idea where in Notts it is ?....it just says Nottinghamshire....& where would I get it from ? (Ask at Nottm Archives ?)I'm too tired to look up the exact date now (though I've got it), but I reckon it's the one David has found, since it's the only death of an Elizabeth Bradley in Notts I've found for the dates I'm looking at & George Street Nottm would be a VERY promising location

Comment

You can request a copy direct from Family Search, using their photoduplication service ..
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much.

I've got a question about the bmdregisters site. I searched for Elizabeth Bradley & got a birth with an Elizabeth Bradley as the mother. It didn't mention the father. Does this mean that it was an illegitimate birth or would you have to search for the father's name separately ?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the answer to your question is that the birth is not necessarily illegitimate and secondly you would need to find the father's name. FamilySearch will probably give you that information. Without a subscription I suspect the only information you get extra from BMDregisters is the place, extracted from the reference number.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNewton View Post
                You can probably find out more at bmdregisters.co.uk but not for free I'm sorry to say. The burial you've mentioned is there (although without an exact date it may not be the same one). The only (free) detail that is not in the familysearch detail is an explanation of the TNA reference
                RG4/1351 Register of Births at George Street Particular Baptist Chapel in the Parish of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire from 1742 to 1837, with a Register of Burials from 1785 to 1837
                These Non conformist registers are now available on Ancestry (with images) as well as via TNA or BMDregisters.co.uk
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Do you have Ancestry Grey - she is on this page, near the bottom:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/content...107&sid=&gskw=

However the name looks like Bradbury to me (and is transcribed by Ancestry as that too). Father was Jonathon if that helps.
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks, folks

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                      ..... However the name looks like Bradbury to me (and is transcribed by Ancestry as that too). Father was Jonathon if that helps.
                      I agree it does not look like Bradley and yet it almost certainly is the one referred to in familysearch and BMDRegisters. I wonder why both the other sources have Bradley. Following on from that entry, since the father is mentioned she was probably a child and there is in fact an Elizabeth Bradbury in the register born on April 23 1812 with father Jonathan and mother Mary who may be the same person.

Added in Edit: interestingly in the register the same named people Jonathan and Mary Bradley had another child born on 22 Jun 1819 who they named Elizabeth. Not uncommon, in my limited experience, for parents to recycle names of dead children.
                      Last edited by DavidNewton; 30-10-13, 09:45.

Comment

Having just looked at this entry given by ozgirl, there appears to be an Elizabeth Bradley, wife of Edward, further up the page.
                        Hope I haven't misread it!

Angela

Comment

I'm going a bit off topic here but I like to follow up the history. Bearward Lane is mentioned as the site of interment several times; there is an interesting old article here (there is a copyright notice on the page so just a link)

where it is claimed that the name Bearward Lane was changed to Mount Street in 1800 but that many locals ignored the change and continued to refer to it as Bearward Lane - as evidenced by these registers.

Comment

Working...
                          X