Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think i have solved the family bible link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think i have solved the family bible link?

We have a family bible, passed down to me by my grandmother.
    On the inside of the cover there is a lovely embossed certificate showing that it was bought with weekly instalment by a Robert Cuthbert Metcalfe in 1857.
    He married Mary Lambert on May 19th 1850

They had 3 children, George, Hannah (died in infancy) and Daniel Lambert Metcalfe.

Now the thing is the next entries in the bible were for my maternal Grandparents and their 3 children.
    So all these years we have wondered why it was in our family and how we were related to Robert & Mary?

Well today thanks to the web search on Hilary's, I have found the link, It was Mary's sister Ruth married a Joseph on Christmas Day 1855. who is my gr. gr. grandfather.

Wow!!!!

Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 31-10-13, 19:00. Reason: detail
    Twiglet

Originally posted by TwigletNumber5 View Post
    We have a family bible, passed down to me by my grandmother.
    On the inside of the cover there is a lovely embossed certificate showing that it was bought with weekly instalment by a Robert Cuthbert Metcalfe in 1857.
    He married Mary Lambert on May 19th 1850

They had 3 children, George, Hannah (died in infancy) and Daniel Lambert Metcalfe.

Now the thing is the next entries in the bible were for my maternal Grandparents, George Lambert Gornall and Emily Ellen Gornall, nee Atkinson and their 3 children.

So all these years we have wondered why it was in our family and how we were related to Robert & Mary?

Well today thanks to the web search on Hilary's, I have found the link, It was Mary's sister Ruth married a Joseph Gornall on Christmas Day 1855. who is my gr. gr. grandfather.

Wow!!!!
    Makes it all worthwhile doesn't it? Great when you discover stuff like this

Linda

Comment

I cannot wait to tell the rest of the family. There was almost a 50 year gap between the entries of Robert & Mary and my grandparents.
      So it has been at least a 50 year old query. Incredible that no one thought to ask my granny when she was alive!
      Twiglet

Comment

When you find rellies in another tree it is always wise to check the details are correct yourself so use it as a guide, and it is helpful if the tree holder gives sources to where they have found the information so don't just take it for granted and copy and paste it all.
        It is courteous to speak to the tree holder to ask permission to use their information in your own tree but yes it is exciting when you get a breakthrough like this.

Edna

Comment

Yes of course.
          Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 27-10-13, 20:44.
          Twiglet

Comment

Working...
          X