Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic Servants

Hi,

Not unsurprisingly, a lot of relatives in my grandparents generation are domestic servants. I would love to build a picture of their lives, but am unsure how to proceed with the limited information that I have.

For example, my paternal grandfather, who was a groom, worked at Lympne Castle in Kent, having moved with his current employer from Northants. The Lympne estate staff were great when I contacted them. However, any estate records relating to my grandfathers time remained with the previous owners when the current company bought the castle.

I would be grateful if anyone have any tips as to how I can proceed with my enquiry. I feel like I have some bits of a jigsaw and need help with the tools to find the missing pieces!

Many thanks

If you want to find out more about "life as a domestic servant" in general, rather than their specific work records, then I can recommend the "My Ancestor was ......" range of books

There is one for "My Ancestor was in Service" - link takes you to TNA book shop but I think they are also available on Amazon, or you may be able to get a copy from your local library.
    The National Archives Shop stocks a beautiful and unusual range of gifts and books inspired by the story of Britain and the treasures in our collection.
    Elaine

Comment

I would contact the local records office and see if any estate records have been deposited there, if not check TNA....... not in either, then research the previous owners and see if you can find a contact address/email to make contact directly and ask.
      When I was researching old estate records for my ancestors where the Hall has since changed hands , the present owner told me the same, he had no previous estate records, then 6 months later he contacted me and invited me to go and visit, estate records had been found and I was given as much time as I needed to look at them. I felt very previliaged to be able to do that.
      Foxyloxy

Comment

Working...
      X