I have only just discovered how to work out this interactive Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have only just discovered how to work out this interactive Ancestry

I have been a long time member of this Forum but have only just discovered how to use the Interactive Ancestry that always shows up on every thread on these research boards.

I have often felt excluded from the research board as I don't have any PPV/subscription websites and only use free sites for research so when someone finds something and it shows interactive I could not see what others were looking at.
    I had stopped looking in here as frequently as I had done before because of this and don't feel that the other off topics here are for me.

By chance OC in one of the threads said she could not see census records and someone showed interactive and OC made comments on the record which made me think about how she could see it when I could not I realised that clicking on the interactive link and then signing into Ancestry with my old username and password I would be able to see it too, so I tried it and it worked.
    I remember in the old days people always wrote out the information from the record so we could all see it and missed those times as I could no longer input into the threads being unable to see the records.

I like Familysearch and use it a lot in my own research which is very small these days and have a friend who helps with records on Ancestry if I need to see something, so I apologise for this not being a research request but on posting this here I thought it may help others who did not understand the interactive Ancestry like me so I hope this makes it clear to them and also to the people who use it regularly to help them understand that not everyone is fully conversant with this system.

Thank you for your time to read this

Edna

Thanks for the info

Comment

Thanks for that Edna. Like you I have had the same problem for the last two years and wish I'd known that that was possible. I never even thought to click on the link! I have just taken out a new sub this year as I have Polish relatives in the states that I found out about just this last few months but will keep that in mind when my sub runs out.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Oh, lol, I didn't know that either! I think that someone must have sent me the copied record in a pm! If ever I click on an Ancestry link, it just takes me to the "pay here" page.

Thanks for this useful info, Edna, I shall use it next time. Like you, I felt that I was rarely able to help with research, being hampered by not having a sub.

OC

Comment

So would new users to the forum use this, can we all use it too?
          Twiglet

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
            I have been a long time member of this Forum but have only just discovered how to use the Interactive Ancestry that always shows up on every thread on these research boards.

I have often felt excluded from the research board as I don't have any PPV/subscription websites and only use free sites for research so when someone finds something and it shows interactive I could not see what others were looking at.
            I had stopped looking in here as frequently as I had done before because of this and don't feel that the other off topics here are for me.

By chance OC in one of the threads said she could not see census records and someone showed interactive and OC made comments on the record which made me think about how she could see it when I could not I realised that clicking on the interactive link and then signing into Ancestry with my old username and password I would be able to see it too, so I tried it and it worked.
            I remember in the old days people always wrote out the information from the record so we could all see it and missed those times as I could no longer input into the threads being unable to see the records.

I like Familysearch and use it a lot in my own research which is very small these days and have a friend who helps with records on Ancestry if I need to see something, so I apologise for this not being a research request but on posting this here I thought it may help others who did not understand the interactive Ancestry like me so I hope this makes it clear to them and also to the people who use it regularly to help them understand that not everyone is fully conversant with this system.

Thank you for your time to read this

Edna
            I am so pleased that you are able to see these records for free until Ancestry close that loophole as it is obviously a mistake, but isn't a bit hard, rather cheeky, to expect people who have actually paid to then type everything out as well?
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline

I don't expect anyone to type the information out for me - but if they don't then I cannot help with the research and like Edna, I start to feel excluded.

OC

Comment

No Caroline I wasn't expecting people to type the census details out for me to see, I was thinking back to the times I used to do this myself before this interactive link came about when the questioner did not have a sub but we wanted to help them, on the BBC we could not show a link to a census either, but I had felt excluded not knowing the details for some time here and I agree that you pay your subs so can help out that is the best part of a sub being able to find stuff to help people.
                Now that I have discovered how to see the details then I may be able to help in other ways such as a google search or Familysearch, free BMD ect, whereas before all I could see was a link.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by TwigletNumber5 View Post
                  So would new users to the forum use this, can we all use it too?
                  Twiglet, when someone on this forum posts an Ancestry link if you click on the link and don't have a subscription to Ancestry all you can see is a page asking you to sign up and pay the subscription, but if you have been a member of Ancestry in the past and still know your user name and password you can then sign in and can see the details that have been found.
                  You can do an Ancestry search without a subscription as long as you have your own sign in details but you can not see the records that have been found this way, it only works when someone shows an interactive link.

Hope I have made it clear for you

Edna

Comment

Twiglet, when someone on this forum posts an Ancestry link if you click on the link and don't have a subscription to Ancestry all you can see is a page asking you to sign up and pay the subscription, but if you have been a member of Ancestry in the past and still know your user name and password you can then sign in and can see the details that have been found.
                    Just to clarify .. that only works (I think) if the person has posted a link which uses the "interactive viewer".
                    You will see that the url starts with : http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk.....etc.

Not all the datasets on Ancestry are using this type of viewer.

Personally I rarely post a link to an actual image. I much prefer to post a link to an Ancestry transciption which then gives the member a better idea of where I have found that record and which dataset it originates from, and of course they can click on the "image viewer" link themselves to see the image.
                    I realise this doesn't help those who don't have a subscription, but IMO is a better way of doing it!
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post

Personally I rarely post a link to an actual image. I much prefer to post a link to an Ancestry transciption which then gives the member a better idea of where I have found that record and which dataset it originates from, and of course they can click on the "image viewer" link themselves to see the image.
                      Yes this is much the better way - transcription rather than image. If you post the image you cannot see the transcription whereas if you post the transcription you can view the image too.
                      Kat

Comment

I think I am signed upto Ancestry, although not subscribed to the payments or anything. Thankyou for explaining this for me.
                        Twiglet

Comment

I also have ignored these links as I am not a paying member of ancestry at the moment so in consequence realised I was "excluded" from anything that quoted links to ancestry. However, as I am a non-paying member i.e. my Tree is on there, I have a username and password so next time I see an interactive link I will see if I can view it.

Thanks for raising that Edna.

Sue

Comment

I was also left very frustrated at not being able to see them and although i'm not the quickest in the race, I like try and get "stuck in"....Lol

Thanks for this......
                            Last edited by Tilly Mint; 28-10-13, 10:50. Reason: change
                            Jacky

Comment

Now this is odd.......

Yesterday I clicked on an interactive link and was taken straight to the image. The ancestry strap line showed my old Ancestry log-in name and membership number.

Today I've just clicked on an interactive link (on loltel's thread) and I am taken to the "pay up first please" page, although my Ancestry log in name and membership number is showing on the strap line. Can anyone explain please?

OC

Comment

Have you logged in OC?
                                Kat

Comment

Well since I posted this thread Ancestry have closed the loophole as I tried a day or two later and it no longer worked, someone must have informed them of it somewhere else, as it would not have been from this board.
                                  It was nice while it lasted.

Edna

Comment

Well since I posted this thread Ancestry have closed the loophole as I tried a day or two later and it no longer worked, someone must have informed them of it somewhere else, as it would not have been from this board.
                                    It was nice while it lasted.

Edna
                                    If you google "Interactive Ancestry", this thread appears on the first page of hits. It is not impossible either that one of Ancestry's employees may have seen it as a member on here anyway.
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I never log out!

What a shame. I could see something yesterday but not today.

Oooh, just had an idea......off to try and find the link to what I looked at yesterday....back soon....

OC

Comment

When I first came on here (very first I c and p'd) from Ancestry. Then did the usual links not realising the person requesting info couldn't see it if they did not have a sub. I would not wish to have anyone feel excluded, especially if I have some info for them I want them to see. I do try to guage if the poster has a sub. Maybe those who do not have a sub can say so in their post so that I can transcribe as well as link. I do notice some do a kind of cut and paste leaving out the margins. Is this OK?

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X