Printer/scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer/scanner

Before I do structural damage with a hammer to the wretched thing I thought it might be a good idea to ask for help. I have wasted the last two days trying to upload 2 PICTURES.

About 3 months ago we had to buy a new printer/scanner as heads got damaged on previous, so easy to use, lovely Lexmark - (I reckon I could change back to that to scan actually but I am assured it won't be any good).

Now have a Canon MG3150 (have just had to lay on floor to read that number - even that is not in a user-friendly place) - I absolutely hate the wretched thing but in the absence of anything else (and I do have the instructions loaded onto computer) I wondered if anyone could help me ...............I just cannot use it.

When I put a picture in the scanner and ask it to scan manually, it chunders and clunks but have absolutely no idea where the picture goes - into the ether I suspect. However, I would prefer to do this manually if possible.

Other alternative and I think correct way to use it is to put picture in scanner, use Canon Solution Menu Ex, press autoscan - name picture before scanning, select picture (if it ever appears)/select folder "pictures" or wherever you want to save it, double click on picture (before this if you want to change into a jpeg instead of a giff you are supposed to be able to do it at this point - have yet to find out how, successfully, although have followed directions and it says it has done it to "standard size" - ancestry will not accept it on the odd occasions when I have managed it and tried to upload - they say it is too big!!)
    When pictures do appear from scanner they automatically go into the MP Navigator for naming, designating and clicking on where you want them to go - mostly they just won't go but when they do - either altogether to goodness knows where or into pdf (which I would never change anything into) or into the MP Navigator file again.

Am I losing the plot completely? If not, can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to use this horrible piece of ....er equipment? My Tree is coming to a full stop because I cannot add all I have and there is so much I am not sure what I have or if I actually do have it any more!!!

I am using Windows 7 Professional - could it be that it is incompatible with this or is it just me incompatible with printer/scanner.

Sue in desperation!

Does this make any sense ??

"your only way to scan will be from GIMP. Open it, open 'File/Create/ScanGearMP' and scan".

Have you searched for your photos in the PC ??

If you cant sort it I would go on the Cannon website and ask their advice

Comment

is this the one ?? maybe you need an updated driver
      Download drivers, software, firmware and manuals for your Canon product and get access to online technical support resources and troubleshooting.

Comment

I have a Canon all-in-one (MG2100) and I normally scan into my photo editing software (Portable PhotoFiltre). However you can use the MP Navigator software as follows (I am assuming your version is pretty much the same as mine):
        1. Start the software and select Photos/Documents (Platen) - not Autoscan
        2. Select Use the Scanner Driver and the button labelled Scan should change to Open Scanner Driver. Click
        3. You should now have the ScanGear window and sticking to Basic Mode follow the instructions down the right side. Make sure the destination is Image Display. You can adjust the cropping frames if desired
        Click Scan. When this is done you should get an invitation to scan more pictures or stop and a thumbnail window. On the left side panel at the bottom is Save. Clicking this gives you a collection of options, where to save, filename, format.

Sounds complicated but when you have done it once it is fairly natural.

Added in Edit. Forgot to say that once you have previewed in scangear you can select an output size in pixels.
        Last edited by DavidNewton; 24-10-13, 12:52.

Comment

Hi Val and David, Thank you both for replying. Have been trying to follow instructions for last lhr 30ish mins - I just cannot do it - perhaps should book in for a brain scan.
          First of all my print setting (which is not the same as you mentioned David) is incorrect so I readjusted it to A4. Then "select images" ................my images are here, there and everywhere it would appear! Among downloads, recent places, pictures, my pictures. I found the picture I had eventually saved yesterday or the day before in "my pictures". Went to anc.co (who had told me to try a tiff (it had saved as a giff and I had to change it to a tiff which it would appear I DID DO and even then ancestry would not let me upload it. I have just tried again with new settings and ancestry refuses it by saying "you must select at least 1 media file to upload".

Despairing - what more can do?

I suspect the broken Lexmark will have to be the answer (doesn't print but will scan I think), the problem is it won't change the type of file.

I seriously hate technology especially this piece of junk sitting beside me. I do realise it is my lack of knowledge though

Sue

Comment

hi have you tried right clicking on one of the photos you found in your pc then with the left side of mouse go to send it to and send it to your desktop say ? then see if you can upload it into Ancestry
            I do feel for you

Comment

dont know why you had to change your giff to a tiff either this is what they say they accept ?

.jpg .jpeg .png .gif .tiff .bmp. Individual photo file size can not exceed 15 MB.

Comment

I cannot help with ancestry since I have not uploaded anything to them. However, regarding the location of your scans: Navigator Ex makes a folder in your "My Pictures" folder named "MP Navigator EX", inside that folder when you do any scans and do not specify a location for the scan it makes a new folder labelled by the date "2013_10_24" for example and within that stores your scans for that day. With no naming it labels the first as IMG.jpg and further scans by adding a 4-digit number on the end: IMG_0001.jpg etc.

Comment

Thanks for that David - I have seen the MP Navigator in My Pictures and wondered why it had things in it - I think I had better take a look in there and see exactly what it is that is hiding there. It might also explain where images I can't find are.

Sue

Comment

Hi Sue, I've just got a new all in one printer scanner today (Canon MX925) and I haven't tried scanning yet. But, I looked at the user guide and for mine it mentions scanning from the computer. I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and in All Programs there is Windows Fax and Scan which is what I used with my old scanner. Using this you can see where your scan image is and you can move it to where you want. Just wondered if you have used "Windows Fax and Scan" program which might help.

Good luck. Shall come back tomorrow when I've tried scanning with my new toy to let you know how I get on.
                    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Good Morning - It worked. I've just put a photo on the flat bed.

From "All Programs" Opened Windows Fax and Scan
                      Clicked on new scan
                      New small screen came up - clicked on Preview
                      Clicked on Scan
                      From the list on the Windows Fax and Scan Box (highlighted blue) clicked on Save as (up at the top)
                      Chose a Photo/file location
                      Gave the photo a file name within that Folder
                      Clicked Save
                      Bingo - there you go.

Hope this helps and you don't have to buy a new hammer.

Good luck - Linda

P.S. You can choose which file format you want BMP, JPEG, PNG or TIFF
                      Last edited by Linda from Murton; 27-10-13, 10:42.
                      Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda from Murton View Post
                        Good Morning - It worked. I've just put a photo on the flat bed.

From "All Programs" Opened Windows Fax and Scan
                        Clicked on new scan
                        New small screen came up - clicked on Preview
                        Clicked on Scan
                        From the list on the Windows Fax and Scan Box (highlighted blue) clicked on Save as (up at the top)
                        Chose a Photo/file location
                        Gave the photo a file name within that Folder
                        Clicked Save
                        Bingo - there you go.

Hope this helps and you don't have to buy a new hammer.

Good luck - Linda

P.S. You can choose which file format you want BMP, JPEG, PNG or TIFF
                        Hi Linda,

You are a total STAR - it worked and it worked effortlessly. (Purchase of new hammer on hold)
                        I shall continue to use this for my copying and saving - would recommend this way of dong copying and saving to all.

In the process of looking at the Canon scanner/printer again to use your above method I noticed that the machine is actually a Canon 3150 but the online instructions are for an MG 3100 - however shall be doing it your way in future whatever the wretched equipment is called.

Sue - a very, very happy Bunny:D [husband also sends grateful thanks!]
                        Last edited by Sue1; 27-10-13, 14:10.

Comment

Hello Sue, so pleased to have helped.
                          Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
                          X