Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fulham Infirmary, 103, St. Dunstan's Road, Fulham Creed Register.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulham Infirmary, 103, St. Dunstan's Road, Fulham Creed Register.

The entry for my grandmother, Ethel Crawley who entered St. Dunstan's on 24th December 1913 to give birth to my father, shows her relief parish as N.E. Does anyone know what this stands for as it may help to narrow down my field of research into her birth.

Fulham had an Area called North End, it may be that?

Last edited by Debbss; 22-10-13, 17:19.

Comment

On the pages I looked at in this register the top of the column shows Fulham followed by initials, then entries below have ditto marks under Fulham followed by S, NW NE or Infy (infirmary?) so I would read this to mean that your grandmother was admitted from Fulham North East
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        On the pages I looked at in this register the top of the column shows Fulham followed by initials, then entries below have ditto marks under Fulham followed by S, NW NE or Infy (infirmary?) so I would read this to mean that your grandmother was admitted from Fulham North East
        Looking at Wikipedia it would appear that Fulham N.E. is West Brompton.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post

However between 1922-1925 Fulham Infirmary was at 6 St. Dunstans Road, W.6 (always thought W.6 was Hammersmith). In 1926 it became St. Christopher's Hospital. This is now closed. I note the number in the road is different to the one you have quoted.

However (and this seems to the relevant one because of dates) previous to the above i.e. 1844-1916 there was Fulham Parish Infirmary on the same site. This appears possibly/probably to be the hospital attached/closest to the Workhouse.

Sue
          Last edited by Sue1; 23-10-13, 15:07. Reason: More info!

Comment

Many thanks Debbs , JudithM and Sue1 for your help. 103 St. Dunstans Road used to be the Fulham Workhouse that much I do know, often a street address like that was put on certificates to cover the fact that it was the workhouse.

Comment

I got the information about the hospital from TNA - it should also tell you where the Repository is for old medical notes that should be on microfilm. I have to admit I couldn't see where the notes would be BUT here is the link:

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

I hope that works for you - am not brilliant with TNA site myself.

Sue

Comment

Sometime early in the 1900s, the Registrar General decided that the word Workhouse, prison, etc, should not appear on any certificate because of the possible stigma and since then, only street addresses have been used.

I'm not sure that there would be any medical notes to cover a birth in the workhouse as a doctor would only attend if there were complications. The admittance and departure register might have a few details but probably not medical.
                Always worth a look though!

OC

Comment

Workhouse Records are not in the public domain as yet for that time scale. Last year I tried to get hold of some for almost exactly the same time in Norfolk - I got the impression, from Kings Lynn Library, where they were having a Workhouse Exhibition at the time, that I couldn't even view them at Norwich Archive.
                  1913 should be due for release imminently I would have thought as it is 100 years.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                  X