Understanding WW1 Military Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding WW1 Military Records

I have discovered a family member on our tree. John Bell Hall born 1899 living at 42 Montland Street, Houghton le Spring.

He enlisted in the Army on the 19th September 1917 aged 17 years 7 months. I have found his Army Records and gleaned quite a bit of information about him. The Commonwealth War Grave Commission shows John's date of death as 27th July 1918. He was a private in the DLI and his number was 300947.

Looking at his Army records some of the pages are stamped:

Transferred to Class "Z" Army Reserve on Demobilisation Date 27th February 1919.

I don't understand this. What is Class "Z" and why be given a demob dated of 27th February 1919 when he died on the 27th July, 1918.

My heart goes out to this young lad.

Can anyone please interpret these records and advise what they mean.

Thank you for your help.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Hi, this might be of a bit of help:
    This is from 1914-1918.net:

Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.
    Perhaps the record was written before he was killed in action when the transfer to Class Z happened?
    Vonny

Comment

Thank you for that Vonny - forgot to mention that John's Army Record does not mention his death. Perhaps they thought he was still alive and slapped a Class Z on his record just in case.
      Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda from Murton View Post
        Thank you for that Vonny - forgot to mention that John's Army Record does not mention his death. Perhaps they thought he was still alive and slapped a Class Z on his record just in case.
        I think you were lucky to find his service records as the records for most of the ones that were killed were not kept as far as I understand. Certainly I have not found records for mine who were killed and not officers.
        Margaret

Comment

I've investigated service records for men killed in WW1 - some have survived, whilst others have not. I've had about the same percentage success as I've had when researching men who survived.
          I've also discovered the need to check the name & number on each page of a record sequence - there are anomalies, probably due either to initial misfiling or to papers later being pulled out and replaced in the wrong record.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

John Bell HALL's service number on his Army Record was 36525 so probably not the same man as John B Hall who died in 1918, service number 300947
            Last edited by JudithM; 22-10-13, 15:37.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Linda

I've been having a look at those records and I've a feeling they're 2 separate soldier records mixed up. There was also a John Blackett Hall who I think may have been the man who was killed in 1918

If you look at the bottom of this page

there are a couple of bits I can't make out and then "Royal Flying Corps"

At the National Archives there is an RFC record for John Bell Hall DOB 22 October 1899 which can be downloaded for £3.36

I've no idea what sort of info would be in there
              Jackie

Comment

Looks like John Bell HALL not only survived the war but lived to a good age. There is a death indexed for John Bell HALL in Stoke on Trent district, June 1986. Date of birth listed as 22 October 1899.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hello everyone - thank you for responding. Must admit I am getting confused now. I shall look more closely at your suggestions and see what I can come up with.
                  Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

WOW - Just shows you should not jump to conclusions. You both provided invaluable info Judith and Night Owl. I downloaded the info from the National Archives and not a lot of information provided other than his date of birth and some writing I could not understand. But you were right it was John Blacket Hall that died on 27th July, 1918 and I don't think he is one of our Halls.

John's Army Records show his date of birth to be 22nd October, 1899. Oh I am so pleased for him.

Shall follow up the Stoke on Trent connection, many thanks. Let us all hope that he had sons because our branch of the Hall family is ready to expire.

Thank you so much for your help.
                    Last edited by Linda from Murton; 22-10-13, 17:16.
                    Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
                    X