john and martha dunford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• john and martha dunford

My Grandmother Mary Ann Mcmonagle was born 29 oct 1860 in Liverpool and dies 1939,She married John Dunford 04 may 1878, John Dunford Born 1858 Liverpool.Now Mary Mcmonagle Parents came from Ireland Donegle.Phillip Mcmonagle and his Wife .Need her Name.They both live in 50 Evelyn Street Kirkdale Liverpool.
    Also John Dunford 1858.His Father was John Dunford born 1812.Married Ann Campbell born 1819.What was his Father and Mother Name.?
    please can any one find out thank you.thank you for your help.

Hello Bob

welcome to the forum, do you have Mary on any of the census at all? [do you have a subscription to Ancestry? ]

I have found a Mary living with parents Phillip & Mary in Kirkdale in 1871.

1871 transcript
    Philip McMonagle 49 dock labourer, b. Ireland
    Mary McMonagle 40 no occ. b. ireland
    John McMonagle 12 b. liverpool
    Mary A McMonagle 10 b.liverpool.

Class: RG10; Piece: 3827; Folio: 105; Page: 20; GSU roll: 841917.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

having a look at Johns Baptism it looks like Maries maiden name was CAMPBELL the god mother looks to be Barbara? CAMPBELL

Name: John Mc Mannigan
      Birth Date: 26 Jan 1858
      Baptism Date: 14 Feb 1858
      Parish: St Anthony´s
      Father's Name: Phil Mc Mannigan
      Mother's Name: Marie Campbell

the writing is not very clear [is quite scruffy and rushed by the looks of it]

Last edited by Darksecretz; 09-10-12, 14:58. Reason: added hyperlink
      Julie

Comment

I can't seem to see them on the 1861 census yet, but will keep looking.
        Julie

Comment

Found a date on a tree for parents marriage so back tracked

Name: MCMONAGLE, Philip
          Registration district:Liverpool
          County: Lancashire
          Year of registration: 1854
          Married CAMPBELL, Mary
          Oct-Nov-Dec 8B/572

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Catholic Marriages,
          Name: Mary Campbell Spinster
          Birth Date: abt 1826
          Marriage Date: 5 Nov 1854
          Parish: St Peter´s Priory
          Spouse's Name: Philip McMorragh batchelor
          Spouse's Age: 32
          Father's Name: Patrick Campbell
          Spouse Father's Name: John Mcmorragh
          Witnesses Lawrence and Sarah Mckey
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Here's John's baptism IGI and there transcription of it

spouse: Mariae Campbell
            child: John Mcmannyan

name: John Mcmannyan
            baptism/christening date: 14 Feb 1858
            baptism/christening place: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
            birth date: 26 Jan 1858
            father's name: Phil Mcmannyan
            mother's name: Mariae Campbell
            indexing project (batch) number: C02052-9
            system origin: England-EASy
            source film number: 396380
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              Found a date on a tree for parents marriage so back tracked

Name: MCMONAGLE, Philip
              Registration district:Liverpool
              County: Lancashire
              Year of registration: 1854
              Married CAMPBELL, Maryp
              Oct-Nov-Dec 8B/572

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Catholic Marriages,
              Name: Mary Campbell Spinster
              Birth Date: abt 1826
              Marriage Date: 5 Nov 1854
              Parish: St Peter´s Priory
              Spouse's Name: Philip McMorragh batchelor
              Spouse's Age: 32
              Father's Name: Patrick Campbell
              Spouse Father's Name: John Mcmorragh
              Witnesses Lawrence and Sarah Mckey
              yes i have found Mary Mcmonagle Parents seem to be Phillip Mcmonagle born Donegal Ireland 1822.and his Wife Mary Campbell.born Donegal Ireland 1822,Mary had a Brother Phillip Mcmonagle,Don't know very much about him.
              they lived in Kirkdale Liverpool.
              And my Family said they to Owned a Shop a Pie Shop,That's all i know about it,
              Also i have found some address for you for John and Mary 1881 census they lived in 3 Steers Street Everton.
              1891 census they lived in 108 Breck road Everton
              1901 census they lived in 42 Seaforth Street Seaforth
              1911 census they lived in the Shop 64 Seaforth Street Seaforth,
              is this helpful.Bob Dunford.

Comment

On elaine 09 -10-12 found a date on a tree for parents marraige so back tracked
                you have spouse's name phillip mcmorragh batchelor should that not be phillip mcmonagle,
                fathers name patrick campbell(mary campbell's father)
                spouse father's name john mcmorragh.should this not be john mcmonagle,
                all i can say is how clever you people are.you find out so much.thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Comment

i would like to give you 100 out of 100 for how good you all are.you all are so clever.i would not know where to start .thank you all again.

Comment

found out some more which i cant understand but it will interest you.
                    my father john Francis Borgia Dunford was in the royal navy 1907 to 1918
                    now while he was in the royal navy he was also in the liverpool city police.i have is photograph in his uniform as policeman with twenty mor of his police officers,also i have his little red book which he had to carry with him.signed by D"Edwards York house Walton park road.his police number was H279. Red book and photographs dated 1914.in the little red book it is stated transfer to A division 20th june 1914
                    so i sent off for his navy record which they sent me
                    which reads.details of deceased serviceman/woman
                    surname Dunford
                    full forenames john Francis Borgia
                    official service and /or civilian staff number---236257
                    service career 21 /04/1906 RN BOY
                    Date of joining. 10/10.1907 ab seaman
                    leaving service royal navy invalided 11/09/1918 by Chatham royal hospital for wounds in war
                    date of birth 10/10 1889
                    chat ham per bulwark
                    10 pct 1907 - 12 years date and period of cs engagements
                    27 Sept 1913 educational certificate for petty officer
                    27 feb 1914 recommended for royal fleet reserve
                    i July 1915 passed as leading seaman
                    23 April 1918 acting g.i.ttt
                    Pembroke 5 Nov 1913 -29 Feb 1914 D shore ,signed by f, hall,
                    11 Sept 1918 invalided chat ham rn hospital wounds received in ac/ver
                    now i cant understand how he could be in the royal navy and in the Liverpool city police at the same time.we have his photograph to prove it.we have his policeman's number H279. and we have his little red book.
                    we also have his royal navy record.
                    so i have been asking around .they just tell me it was 1914 start of the first world war.and the police needed help.any thing could have gone on.
                    so i thought perhaps you could look into it for us.because some of your other family trees may have the same story.and what a story this could make to our family tree..sorry to bother you.but thought you should know,

Comment

just found some more history john and mary dunford bought a shop in 64 seaforth road seaforth,census 1911.turned the shop into a drapery.and a dress making shop.her husband john passed a exam to be a draper but carried on being a foreman for the shipping firm Jackson both making good money two of her daughters who were dressmakers worked with there mother in the shop.later on all the daughters were married but kept asking there parents for money .so mary mcmonagle/dunford thought she would leave them to get on with it and bought a house in wales.john her husband and one of her sons would go down there every weekend to do the garden,and help with the house.after 6 months mary got fed up with this ,so she came back home to 64 seaforth street seaforth,and in 1935 bought five houses in ash grove for renting out.and in 1935 wrote out her will.found this in some family notes.

Comment

just found out the numbers of the houses in ash grove my great aunt mary ann mcmonagle /dunford bought in 1935 after coming back from wales.number 6,8.12.16.and 18 ash grove liverpool.she bought and rented them out.this is from liverpool record office.for 1935.it seems from this that until she died in 1939 she lived in 64 seaforth road seaforth liverpool. is this any help .thank you again

Comment

Hello Bob,

I have sent you a private message with info about Seaforth Streeet area as my childrens fathers family came from there originally and probably around the time your family were there.
                          I have sent picture websites and a local forum for you to get your teeth into and chat about the streets and surroundings.
                          My Fathers family were from Wales originally and also bought 6 houses all in a row in the Bootle area very close to where your family lived and those houses are still standing today.

Good Luck with your research

Edna

Comment

Bob to see my Private Messages you have to go to The area at the top of the page marked Private Message and click on it and this will take you to the messages that I have sent to you, then open each one and where there is a blue link click on the link which will open up a new page to where I want you to see, I have sent several links to sites that will be of interest to you including a chat Forum in the area where your relatives lived and you will get lots of information from the locals.
                            Pictures of the areas are on other links I sent to you so be sure to open each one.
                            You can reply to me Privatley by scrolling down the message to the end of quote and reply there.

Edna

Comment

the dunford family tree,

if any of your readers can add anything to my family tree they all came from Liverpool born .married and died there i can go back to 1800.
                              now first my own father John Francis Borgia Dunford born Eerton .Liverpool 1889.Married my Mother Lavinia Sampson.from Kent England.in 1818.He join the Royal Navy as a Boy in 1907.Sailed the World .have lots of Photographs.wounded in the First World War.Stayed in the Royal Hospital Gillingham Kent,Wounds so bad had to be sent out of the Royal Navy in 1818.But while in the Royal Navy.he was taught lots of Different Languages.So when the First World War began.he was sent to the Liverpool City Police.We have his Police Number H279.While in the Police.We have his Red Book given to him from the Liverpool City Police And Phographs of him with other Police Officers.Taken in 1914.Tried to find out more but it seems this is all Hush Hush.Because they say that it was the beginning of the First World War and most Services needed Help.that's all i can get,Now in 1921 he Joined the United Kingdom Merchant Navy.And stayed in til 1941.Service in the North Sea.They said that he was one of the Few Who Served in both World Wars.he Died in Kent in 1975.
                              Now his Father John Francis Dunford.BORN 1858,Married Mary Ann Mcmonagle.Dunford.BORN 1860,An d lived in Several Homes before buying the Draper Shop in 64 Seaforth Street Seafoth,He had Eight Children.(IF ANY ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THE DRAPER SHOP PLEASE LET ME KNOW)
                              Eva Mary Millicent Dunford born Everton 1904- Died 1985-Married John Clarke.
                              Mary Ann Cecelia Dunford Born Everton 1892-1974
                              Grace Anastasia Dunford born Everton 1900 Married her Cousin Herbert Dunford So adopted two children Lorna now living in Canada.
                              please can you trace her cousins family down for me
                              Mary Agnes Dunford born Everton 1883 Married Peter Carr
                              Phillip Dunford born 1884.Married had Two Sons?
                              Edith Dunford born 1887.Married twice First Husband Mr Burlinson one son Wilfred.Then Married William Dale 3 sons and 4 Daughters.
                              Ellen Dunford born 1885 Married John Frith
                              John Francis Borgia Dunford (my Father ) Born 1889.had 6 Sons 1 Daughter,
                              Story goes that John Dunford BORN 1858 was a Forman for Jackson Shipping .Liverpool.Mary Ann Dunford his Wife was a Dressmaker
                              Her Father Phillip Mcmonagle born Ireland had a Pie Shop.in Kirkdale Liverpool.cannot find this Pie Shop
                              Mary ann Dunford had Two Daughters who were Dressmakers ,So they would make Womens Clothing in the Draper Shop.
                              Also one of her Children was a School Teacher in Seaforth
                              in 1930 ? All of Mary Ann Dunford Daughters and Sons were Married,But kept asking her for Money,So she went to Wales for a Yea r telling them they are old enough to stand on there own two feet there Husbands all had good jobs .but after a Year she got fed up and came back to Seaforth 64 Seaforth Street Seaforth,And bought 5 Houses in Ash Grove,One for each of her Daughters,.but they had to wait until she Died..So she Rented these Houses out,she died in 1939,IN 64 seaforth street seaforth,
                              now john dunford father was born in 1812,in liverpool birth and baptism of john and his brothers and Sister
                              John Dunford born 21 Oct 1812.Baptism 25 Oct 1812 At St Marys Liverpool Parish St Marys
                              Thomes Dunford born 17 Feb 1815 .Baptism 19 Feb 1815 at St Marys .Liverpool Parish St Marys
                              William Dunford born 17 Feb 1818..Baptism 22 Feb 1818 at St Marys Liverpool.Parish St Marys
                              James Dunford born 6 Nov 1823 .Baptism 23 Nov 1823 .At St Marys.Liverpool.Parish St Marys
                              Helen Dunford .born 30 Dec 1824.Baptism 23 Jan 1825 At St Marys .Liverpool.Parish St Marys
                              Now on there Birth and Baptism Record it gives there Father as John Dunford and Mother as Martha Dunford
                              Cannot find know more about them .When they were Married.Born Where.there Familys. Nothing can you Help with any of this please
                              thank you very much for reading this and if you can help in any way .please do,more i find out the better

just found out a little more
                              john dunford and there 5 children all lived at ryans place .naylor street,st, marys, parish from 1812 to 1827
                              source gores directory 1827
                              all the children were baptised there at st marys church
                              john dunford had a stable at ryans place naylor street liverpool
                              then they all moved to titchfield street, st, anthonys, parish,john dunford carter with stable at ryans place naylor street liverpool
                              in 1837 john dunford died of fever at titchfield street ,age 59,born 1778.
                              son john dunford born 1812 paid for burial of his father
                              Last edited by bobdunford; 03-12-13, 15:02. Reason: to help in the searches

Comment

just found out some more on the dunford family,if you could help.
                                john dunford born 21oct 1812,baptised 25 oct 1812 ,at st marys parish church liverpool.father john dunford ,mother martha dunford
                                thomas dunford born 17 feb 1815 ,baptised 19 feb 1815,at st.marys parish church .liverpool.father john dunford .mother martha dunford
                                william .dunford born 17 feb 1818 ,baptised .22 feb 1818,at st .marys parish church.liverpool.father john dunford.mother martha dunford
                                james dunford.born 6 nov 1823.,baptised 23v nov 1823.at st.marys parish church .liverpool.,father john dunford.mother martha dunford
                                helen dunford.born 30 dec 1824.,baptised 23 jan 1825 at .st .marys .parish church .liverpool.father john dunford.mother martha dunford.
                                ( cannot find any other news -birth,marriage or death,on john dunford and martha dunford)

john dunford born 1812.married ann campbell born 1819.
                                they had 5 children:
                                ellen dunford born 1846
                                henry dunford born 1849
                                anna dunford born 1855
                                john francis dunford born 1858
                                marthadunford born 1860

thomas dunford a carter of bevington street liverpool
                                married sarah williams of woodstock street .liverpool
                                at st peters church liverpool on 10 july 1837

william dunford a carter of bevington street liverpool
                                married ellen carroll of nash street .liverpool.
                                at st peters church .liverpool on 3 nov 1839

both thomas dunford and william dunford lived (before marriage) in bevington street .liverpool.did they live there with there parents ,john dunford and martha dunford

Comment

Originally posted by bobdunford View Post
                                  just found out some more on the dunford family,if you could help.
                                  john dunford born 21oct 1812,baptised 25 oct 1812 ,at st marys parish church liverpool.father john dunford ,mother martha dunford
                                  thomas dunford born 17 feb 1815 ,baptised 19 feb 1815,at st.marys parish church .liverpool.father john dunford .mother martha dunford
                                  william .dunford born 17 feb 1818 ,baptised .22 feb 1818,at st .marys parish church.liverpool.father john dunford.mother martha dunford
                                  james dunford.born 6 nov 1823.,baptised 23v nov 1823.at st.marys parish church .liverpool.,father john dunford.mother martha dunford
                                  helen dunford.born 30 dec 1824.,baptised 23 jan 1825 at .st .marys .parish church .liverpool.father john dunford.mother martha dunford.
                                  ( cannot find any other news -birth,marriage or death,on john dunford and martha dunford)

john dunford born 1812.married ann campbell born 1819.
                                  they had 5 children:
                                  ellen dunford born 1846
                                  henry dunford born 1849
                                  anna dunford born 1855
                                  john francis dunford born 1858
                                  marthadunford born 1860

thomas dunford a carter of bevington street liverpool
                                  married sarah williams of woodstock street .liverpool
                                  at st peters church liverpool on 10 july 1837

william dunford a carter of bevington street liverpool
                                  married ellen carroll of nash street .liverpool.
                                  at st peters church .liverpool on 3 nov 1839

both thomas dunford and william dunford lived (before marriage) in bevington street .liverpool.did they live there with there parents ,john dunford and martha dunford
                                  It will be difficult to establish whether the boys lived there with their parents as the first census with names on is 1841 and both had married by then so you could find them with their wives and any children in 1841.
                                  Have you looked on 1841 to see if John and Martha are there at that point which could give a good indication of it being a family home.
                                  Margaret

Comment

the dunford family

first i thought all my family came from and around liverpool lancashire.
                                    until i came to
                                    john dunford born 21 oct 1812.baptized 25 oct 1812 at st marys church .liverpool.father john dunford mother martha dunford
                                    thomas dunford born 17 feb 1815.baptized 19 th feb 1815 .at st .marys church .liverpool.father john dunford.mother martha dunford.
                                    william dunford born 17 feb 1818.baptized 22 feb 1818.st marys church .liverpool.father john dunford.mother martha dunford
                                    james dunford .born6 nov 1823.baptized 23 nov 1823 at st marys church.liverpool/father john dunford.mother martha dunford
                                    helen dunford born 30 dec 1824.baptized 23 jan 1825 at st marys church.liverpool.father john dunford.mother martha dunford.
                                    then found johndunfoord married martha ? in 1811 at st marys church .liverpool john dunford born 1790 single.martha born 1790.spinster.
                                    then i found i had hit my first brick wall did not know the maiden name for martha.
                                    although trying everywhere could not find john dunford born 1790 anywhere in england or wales. scotland .so i was ask to try waterford ireland i put this on the internet asking any body knows a john dunford born 1790 in waterford ireland.
                                    then from waterford ireland.mr noel weldon sent me a email
                                    st patrick and st olaves church waterford ireland.
                                    baptism of john dunford .born 21 march 1790
                                    parents james dunford and margaret walsh.
                                    the date of marriage of james dunford and margaret walsh in the same parish.is 14 august 1789.
                                    then another email came through
                                    captain dunford married miss walsh .at st patrick and st olaves church waterford ireland in 1789.
                                    sounds the same couple .but cannot find anything more on james dunford or captain dunford.
                                    if he was a british captain.was he in the army or navy .both had captains.
                                    did he live in ireland or just got married there.
                                    another brick wall.can you help at all.
                                    thank you for reading this .and i hope find away to help .
                                    .any way a big thank you from bob dunford

gij

Comment

do you have john and martha in the census? that would help with birthplace.

Comment

Maybe he was a ships captain?
                                        Angelina

Comment

Working...
                                        X