Windows 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1

After some soul searching I eventually invested in a computer which doesn't have a separate box, all the working bits are incorporated in the screen casing. However this machine was loaded with Windows 8 and to be honest I wasn't too happy. For starters couldn't get email to work properly etc. However today I downloaded Win 8.1 (free download) and on first impressions believe it to be a huge improvement - Still having fun playing.:D
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

I was disappointed with Windows 8 ... very slow and stodgy in comparison with W7 on a similar spec machine, but 8.1 has really speeded everything up .
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have one of those computers, David. Looks very sleek compared to my old setup. I have Windows 8 (just looked and it doesn't seem to be 8.1) and to my HUGE surprise I'm loving it! I can honestly say I haven't had any problems so far. Mind you, maybe that's a refection on the old XP computer which was playing up!

Would you recommend going for Win 8.1? What differences would I notice, bearing in mind I've got this one's start screen personalised just how I want it.

Anne
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 22-10-13, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
        I have one of those computers, David. Looks very sleek compared to my old setup. I have Windows 8 (just looked and it doesn't seem to be 8.1) and to my HUGE surprise I'm loving it! I can honestly say I haven't had any problems so far. Mind you, maybe that's a refection on the old XP computer which was playing up!

Would you recommend going for Win 8.1? What differences would I notice, bearing in mind I've got this one's start screen personalised just how I want it.

Anne
        The download and installation to upgrade to 8.1 took an afternoon and it kept everything the same as before.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Our new machine is coming with 8.1,I want to know if it will load FTM 2009 any ideas ?
          Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
            The download and installation to upgrade to 8.1 took an afternoon and it kept everything the same as before.
            Thanks, Caroline. I'll give it some thought ...... I'm so cautious it may take some time to decide.
            Anne

Comment

Anne,
              Still too early to give a definitive review, but for starters my e-mail is working a lot better than before. Will have to have a play for a couple of days but generally things are much the same.

I remember that the size of the download to 8.1 was listed as something like 3 G bits which worried me slightly but went ahead with it and it took about 15 minutes give or take a couple as I was

having supper during the d/load. Re Barbs query on loading FTM 2009 I'd just go ahead and try it, no harm done if unable. As I am using the 2013 version I should have no problems.

David

Comment

After my free months trial of outlook it appears that this system has been stopped from me using it unless I sign up for MS office, which is, putting it bluntly a rather expensive program. Along side

this all the tabs that I generated have also ceased functioning and of course other sections of the home page do not appear to be functioning either. Is this correct ?

Luckily I have the last laugh anyway as I now get everything I want through the google search engine and t-bird for email. It galls me though to have all that stuff on the screen and not being able

to use it. Otherwise W8.1 appears to work quite well, and going back to W7 (on the lappy) makes me have to think what to do next. :D
                Last edited by grumpy; 27-11-13, 05:14.

David

Comment

Working...
                X