Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this place of birth be anything different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this place of birth be anything different?

Have Bridget McQuade in 1901 census born Cork but could it be anything different?

RG13
    ; Piece: 4710; Folio: 84; Page: 2.

Her maiden name was Sands and think she had a brother? James - godparent on one of her children's RC baptisms but can't find a relevant Sands family in Cork area.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Looks like Cork to me too.

Is it possible that Sands was a previous married name and that her maiden name was something else entirely, or do you know for sure that it was her maiden name?
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't know as I haven't got her marriage to Francis McQuade (McQuaid/McQuaide/McQuid/McWade). Can't see it on the FreeBDM so presume they married in Ireland before 1864.

She appears in the 1871 census with husband Francis and two children Sarah Jane age 3 and Francis 8 months both born in Jarrow. Another son Thomas was born in 1864 but died in 1865 in Jarrow. Francis has a James Sands as godparent - none of the others have a Sands godparent. All the children have Bridget Sands as mother's maiden name on their baptisms.
      Last edited by JBee; 21-10-13, 13:42.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
        Unfortunately I don't know as I haven't got her marriage to Francis McQuade (McQuaid/McQuaide/McQuid/McWade). Can't see it on the FreeBDM so presume they married in Ireland before 1864.

She appears in the 1871 census with husband Francis and two children Sarah Jane age 3 and Francis 8 months both born in Jarrow. Another son Thomas was born in 1864 but died in 1865 in Jarrow. Francis has a James Sands as godparent - none of the others have a Sands godparent. All the children have Bridget Sands as mother's maiden name on their baptisms.
        I know northing about Irish records, but have a theory about where peeps said they came from, which goes like this:

Say, you were actually born in a suburb of Derby, like Allestree. If you still lived in Derby when it was census time, you might well say Allestree as your place of birth. If, however, you'd moved to live in Brighton, you might be more likely just to say that you were born in Derby.

So, Bridget is Irish, has heavy accent which can't quite be understood by the enumerator in NE England. She might have tried to say/thought about saying the actual name of where she came from, but opted for Cork as somewhere which was (a) not a million miles away and (b) likely to be understood.

The upshot of this theory is that you might have to spread the net quite wide from Cork to find anyone called Sands.

Hope this makes some sort of sense
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Yes it makes perfect sense.

I was wondering whether the Cork could have been Cook - think there's a Cooktown in the North of Ireland but until a get a breakthrough I'll never know.

Comment

I had a quick look on rootsireland, there is this one:
            Church Marriage Sanahan Bridget 1858 Co. Tyrone
            Church Marriage McQuade Francis 1858 Co. Tyrone
            In Cookstown, County Tyrone
            Last edited by Debbss; 21-10-13, 16:00.

Comment

Thank you Debbs

That looks really interesting - I've looked on rootsireland before and found nothing.

However how do I prove or disprove that Bridget Sanahan is Bridget Sands?

Comment

I cannot find a birth for Bridget Sanahan, 1840 +/- 10 years in the whole of Ireland. There are 9 Bridget Sands born in the same time frame. Unfortunately the marriage is a transcript, not an image of the actual, so there is no handwriting to analyse for the word 'Sanahan'. However there are quite a few 'Sanahans' in Cookstown.

Comment

Thanks Debbs - will certainly investigate and see if I can find the church where marriage took place then see if there's a corresponding baptism for either Bridget or Francis.

Thank you.

Comment

It doesnt give that info there I'm afraid.
                    Date of Marriage: 30-May-1858
                    Parish / District: COOKSTOWN County: TYRONE
                    Husband Wife
                    Name: Francis McQuade Bridget Sanahan
                    Address: Not Recorded Not Recorded
                    Husband's Father Wife's Father
                    Name: McQuade Sanahan
                    Address:
                    Husband's Mother Wife's Mother
                    Name:
                    Address:
                    Witness 1 Witness 2
                    Name: Patrick Haydon Patrick Haydon

Comment

Thanks Debbs - will certainly investigate and see if I can find the church where marriage took place then see if there's a corresponding baptism for either Bridget or Francis.

Thank you.
                      The marriage appears to have taken place in Cookstown RC church. (You can establish that from the rootsireland records, which can be interrogated as to parish).
                      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I think it's Holy Trinity as there's only one RC church in Cookstown - but whether it was there in 1858 I will have to investigate.

Comment

Hello,
                          I know this wont help you, but it is similar to your case, on the 1901 Census, my grand parents had birth place as
                          MILTON, RERRY, I could find no such place, but then I got my brother to repeat it over and over again using an Irish accent and it turned out to be MILTOWN, KERRY.

Robert Purnell

Comment

i am shocked at how long and frankly gaelic some of the irish town names are, so maybe bridget among others, did just opt for the county or the largest town/city to their birthplace. OR the enumerator was given the town name but only entered the county or 'ireland'. i think 1841 census just asks for the country of foreign birth, i wonder if later census had the same requirement? or the enumerator thought it was just to record the country name? i can't count how many times i just see 'ireland' or 'scotland' as birthplace, with nothing more specific. in scotland i have seen a few with just 'england' recorded.

Comment

also i wonder if bridget had been married before, and that's why your having difficulty with a marriage? have you got the birth certs to see if there is anything else on them?

Comment

I note (unless I'm doing something wrong) that there is only 1 Sands entered in the 1901 census for Co Cork and none at all in the 1911. That could be the other way round. That chap was born in Co Dublin.
                                Most the the Sands are from the North of Ireland.

I did look to see if I could find James Sands, the possible brother, and came across a place named Coagh pronounced Kouk. According to Wilki it is in Co Tyrone, 8 Km east of Cookstown. I wonder if that could be Bridget's 'Cork'.

Vera

Comment

Debbs I forgot to say thank you for the info and using your credits on roots ireland - its much appreciated.

Kyle yes I know what you mean about place of birth being just the country. I had a John Smith living in Scotland and born England!!!!!! Only 3,000 possibilities in 3 year period. Thankfully family search came up trumps.

I was very fortunate that Bridget said Cork on the 1901 census as she'd died by the 1911 one so at least I had something to go on.

Yes Robert the irish pronunciation is why I thought it might be something else as I couldn't really find a Sands in Cork - only one family but they seemed quite wealthy and perhaps presbyterian which wouldn't fit with my RC labouring class!! Mind you I believe a lot of Cork genealogy isn't available online yet - so might still be correct.

Vera that looks a real possibility especially with the way its pronounced.

I only have one birth certificate for the children and it definitely says Sands and no previous name. I have the baptisms of most of the children and again its Sands except for Sarah when it's Sayns.

Anyway thank you everyone for your help.

Comment

you could also try looking for a James Sanahan in cookstown that might help?
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Will do that Julie

Comment

Will do that Julie
                                        :smilee: makes you wonder of they just dropped part of the name to 'fit in' more. [not quite with it at mo, full of flu]
                                        Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X