can anyone see a connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone see a connection

I believe my grandmother to have been Lily Augusta Harris, b.Oxford St. Clement, 1874. No father on bc but mother is Emily Jane Harris.
    I can't find either in 1881.

1891 there's a Lilley Harris, 15yrs, born St. Clement Oxford living in St. Pancras as the niece of Arthur Smith and his wife Caroline (mn Brimfield)

1901 Lily is now calling herself Lilian Graham and is living in Lancs. with my Grandfather.

Caroline is a widow in 1901 and living with her children in St. Marylebone. Also there, is a niece, Gertrude Clara Harris,

Can any one find a link between these 4 people, particularly between Emily Jane Harris and Caroline Brimfield?

I've been trying to find information about my grandmother for years but this as as far as I can get. In fact, I didn't renew my ancestry membership as I didn't seem to be able to get any further with this.
    Last edited by Cath RJ; 19-10-13, 10:42.
    Cath.

According to an online tree, Caroline had a sister Clara, who married Henry John Harris, in Mar 1872 in Headington, Oxfordshire. in 1881 they are with their children, who include Lilian M Harris, age 4., born in Birmingham. This matches with a birth for Lilian Margaret Harris in Birmingham Dec 1876.

Unfortunately it doesn't look as though this is your Lily.

Will keep looking

PS in 1891 Henry and Clara also have a daughter Gertrude Clara b, 1882, who matches the one you found.
    Last edited by ozgirl; 19-10-13, 11:42.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks Linda.
      My Lily was born 1874 in Oxford workhouse, as Lily Augusta so I've always discounted the Birmingham one. It's so frustrating a I know she definitely existed, I've got photos and a birth cert. but no other information. She died in 1934, age recorded as 58. I thought if I could just trace Emily Jane Harris the rest would be easy. BUT there are dozens of Harris and Brimfields in the Oxford area!
      Cath.

Comment

Been trying to find her - I think I have the correct one in 1901 census from what you say - it must be a second marriage for Thomas as eldest daughter was born when Lilian was only 10. Have you found a marriage certificate for them, I can't see one at the moment.
        Linda

Comment

Found Thomas in 1891 and 1881 with first wife Jeaney. Looks like Jeaney Core Graham died in 1895, was buried in Bury 2/7/1895, aged 37 years. She is on a public tree on Ancestry which shows Thomas Grahams line back to early 1700's. The tree is on the Mundia site - if you search for Jeannie Cora Mclellan you should find it.

However I can already see at least one error on the tree, so not sure how accurate it is.
          Last edited by ozgirl; 19-10-13, 12:22.
          Linda

Comment

Linda, Lily was in fact my grandfather's 3rd partner. He married the first two but he and Lily/Lilian were together for over 30 years but appear never to have married. I'll try to access the tree you mentioned and see if any of it makes sense. I have detailed information of the Grahams so should be able to spot errors. Thanks again.
            Cath.

Comment

How did you get back to Lily Augusta Harris Cath and what did the W stand for on the birth cert as I see that she was born Lily Augusta W Harris.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Also, what was the name of the mother on your grandfathers birth cert?

Comment

Chrissie, All her children's birth certs., including my fathers, give her maiden name as Harris and she's the only Lily/Lilian Augusta I can find born in Oxford at the right time. The W stands for Wall (poss, father?) but I haven't been able to make any progress there.

Don't know why you ask for my grandfather's mother's name but if it helps in was Mary Strong (they were from Dumfries orginally).

Linda
                  I can't access the tree you mentioned but from memory I think it was submitted by a member of his 2nd wife's family. Her name was Helen Morton/Pennington. Ignore this.
                  Sorry Linda, I've got it now, The facts seem ok but I don't know who the submitter is. I know (personally) the descendants of the eldest son, George William and also of David Crawford.
                  Last edited by Cath RJ; 19-10-13, 13:58. Reason: senior moment
                  Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                    Chrissie, All her children's birth certs., including my fathers, give her maiden name as Harris and she's the only Lily/Lilian Augusta I can find born in Oxford at the right time. The W stands for Wall (poss, father?) but I haven't been able to make any progress there.

Don't know why you ask for my grandfather's mother's name but if it helps in was Mary Strong (they were from Dumfries orginally).

Linda
                    I can't access the tree you mentioned but from memory I think it was submitted by a member of his 2nd wife's family. Her name was Helen Morton/Pennington.
                    Thanks Cath I must have misunderstood as when I read this in the first post 1901 Lily is now calling herself Lilian Graham and is living in Lancs. with my Grandfather I thought your grandfather was one of their children. I assume that he was actually Thomas Graham? Sorry!!

Comment

So the birth certs give her name as Lily and/or Lilian Augusta nee Harris?

Comment

I'll have to check later Chrissie. Someone else has Dad's birth cert.and I can't remember is it's Lily or Lillian but I think she was Lillian by then.
                        Cath.

Comment

I've now had chance to look at the tree on mundia and it's littered with mistakes but it doesn't matter because I'm ok with the Grahams it's Lily Augusta's past I'm trying to discover. There seem to be lots of Harris/Brimfield connections in the Oxford area (particularly in Headington where she was registered) but I still can't find the connection between these four people.

Chrissie - her maiden name was def, Harris,
                          Cath.

Comment

Working...
                          X