Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Western Road, Gloucester

Hi

Would anyone be able to tell me what schools used to be around the Great Western Road area of Gloucester during the 1930's and 1940's? Infants schools I think they were called, in the area where the old Workhouse and surrounding housing was demolished to make way for the new hospital building in the 1960's. I've tried to look for an older map online, but haven't been clever enough to find one. :(

Thanks muchly

No idea of schools but I take it you have seen this link?
    Angelina

Comment

try this link for schools today

click search with 1mile then next page gives a list of schools today and somewhere on the page is a 'view map' which you click then up comes a map with today's school on it. then click on the red dots. I think the ones you are looking for in 1930s are likely to be church schools ie CofE or RC primaries.
      hopefully someone from Gloucester will be able to tell you properly.
      Angelina

Comment

Thanks muchly :o

Comment

For an old map go to
          Why is Old Maps no longer available? Over the last 10 years Landmark has partnered with the team at Old Maps to sell our historical mapping data to consumers keen to learn about local history or purchase printed maps for personal or decorative use. Viewing and printing these maps from the Old Maps website was […]

Search Gloucester.
          Find Great Western Road on the modern map then select on the right: 1936 pre WWI 1:2,500
          Click>Enlarge Map
          Use your browser's zoom-in tool, then you will see just enough detail to work out if there was a school using the list supplied by angelina.

I couldn't find any listing in Kelly's Directory for 1939.
          Last edited by keldon; 18-10-13, 16:04.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

That's great. Ta!

Comment

Working...
            X