Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 census 55 St Marys Road ,Garston,Liverpool

Good Morning
    Trying to connect our ancestors - Tippo and Myself - my ggg grandmother was Mary Tipping b 1815 Garston,Liverpool
    St Marys Road ,Garston from 1 - about 120 is all shops and pubs .
    55 St Marys Road is presently a Dentist...so in 1901 it was more than likely a shop as well..
    so - we have George Ernest Tipping b 3rd May 1906 in Garston - baptised 3rd June 1906 - parents John William Tipping and Margaret Alice Tipping
    can anyone tell me if John and Margaret were at 55 St Marys Road in 1901 census - and whether it was a shop ????
    thanks
    allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

According to findmypast address search, John Sidwell, boot dealer and his widowed daughter Amelia Garner, manageress of boot shop, were living there. Amelia's children were all working in the boot shop.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you very much Caroline - I was hoping John and Margaret were there ...not to worry .....was pretty certain it was a shop ...thanks again ..
      allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

John William and Margaret Alice are at 9 Whitley Street, Garston in 1901, with 5mth old son Wm John and two of John senior's brothers, 23yo Ernest A Tipping and 19yo Norman J. All the male adults are Fishmongers.

And in 1911 John and Margaret are at 74 Elaine Street, Garston with children
        William John, 10
        Catherine, 9
        Ellen (I think that's what it says), 7
        and
        Eric, 1

No sign of George Ernest with his parents, although it says 5 children born and 5 alive, so George must be somewhere else (she said, stating the obvious!).
        Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 18-10-13, 10:35.
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
          John William and Margaret Alice are at 9 Whitley Street, Garston in 1901, with 5mth old son Wm John and two of John senior's brothers, 23yo Ernest A Tipping and 19yo Norman J. All the male adults are Fishmongers.

And in 1911 John and Margaret are at 74 Elaine Street, Garston with children
          William John, 10
          Catherine, 9
          Ellen (I think that's what it says), 7
          and
          Eric, 1

No sign of George Ernest with his parents, although it says 5 children born and 5 alive, so George must be somewhere else (she said, stating the obvious!).
          Thanks very much ...I think he is in Woolton - 2 miles away with grandparents in 1911...appreciate your input
          cheers
          allan

Comment

Hi Allan,
            I've just hit this by luck I'm afraid I'm not to good on the computer
            I've been looking in every day to see if you had answered my last contact
            In 1931 they were in 109 Errol St.Nr the Dingle.
            Sorry got it wrong it was 88 St Mary's Rd.
            I n 1910 They were in 12, Upper Parliament St, G/father John William was a publican.

Comment

Hi All,
              1911, I think it was at this time my father was expelled from school I believe and he went to
              live 36, Rodick St, Woolton with my G/fathers brother Ernest Alfred and his wife May ?. I
              Believe the school was in or near Harlow St, G/ uncle Ern Died the year after my father in 1955.
              in Garston Hospital.
              Cheer's
              Tippo.

Comment

Cheers Tippo - so it was 88 St Marys road ?...I will walk down the village today and see where it is...wonder what it was in 1901 census ?
                allan

Comment

In 1901, there was a couple with their widowed daughter and grandson living there:

James SUTTON 1831 Grocer
                  Hannah SUTTON 1836
                  Emily DOUGLAS 1874 Draper
                  Rosse DOUGLAS 1898
                  Caroline
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

By 1911, there was no No. 88, but there was family called JONES - all grocers/grocer's assistant living at No. 87 and saddler at No. 89.
                    Caroline

Comment

Hi,
                      Charles Tipping 1844 m Mary Ann Hales 1843 in 1869.
                      Offspring.
                      Charles Layton Tipping, 1873.
                      William John Tipping. 1875-1936.
                      Ernest Alfred Tipping, 1878-1975.
                      Norman James Tipping, 1880-

I'm away from later to-day until Tuesday,
                      Thanks for all you help.

Cheer's,
                      Tippo.
                      Last edited by Tippo; 29-10-13, 22:31.

Comment

The last time I was there it was the Co-Op Funeral Parlour.
                        up at the top on the right heading for L.pool.

Tippo.

Comment

Hi Caroline,
                          On my fathers birth cert 1906 is 88, St Mary's Rd.
                          Tippo.
                          Last edited by Tippo; 29-10-13, 14:11.

Comment

There is no image showing between 87 and 89 St Mary's Road in 1911. I've had a look now at the enumerator's book and it is only doing the odd numbers on FMP search .... been browsing some more (having to use FMP and Ancestry) and found that a different enumerator did the even numbers but stopped at 64 and went to a different street!!

In 1911, Ernest George aged 5 was at 36 Rodick St, Woolton, Liverpool with his uncle Ernest Alfred and Aunt Mary Elizabeth. They had been married for 8 years.
                            Caroline

Comment

Is it possible that the houses 66 upwards were demolished between 1901 and 1911? Or for some reason the road was closed when the enumerator arrived. You need a large scale OS map to discover how the house numbers run - the odds and evens are sometimes offset by quite a distance.

Not applicable in this case, but the Post Office could allocate a series of numbers to a new road, and then subsequently part of the road is never developed. The even numbers on the road my church is in start at 2, but the odds start with the church at 63. The remainder is still open green space owned by the Council.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

[SIZE=5][I] Hi All,
                                I'm back I'm sorry it was and still is 88 St,Mary's Rd.
                                If you Google Co-Op Funeral Directors St, Mary's Rd,
                                Garston.
                                It gives the Address.

Cheer's,

Tippo..
                                Last edited by Tippo; 29-10-13, 17:55.

Comment

Hi Caroline,
                                  My father lived with G/uncle Ern and May as his wife was known to my mother and father until he went to sea,
                                  while living in Woolton he met my mother who lived in the "Black Horse" at the top of Rodick St,
                                  Though they called her May , She was Mary Elizabeth Simmons, I don't Know if Unc,Ern had been married
                                  before had Mary, as I was always lead to believe She was the sister of Charles White who was killed in 1918
                                  I have some of their letters some where, from when he was away and he always signed off " Dinna Forget"
                                  My mother and I looked after Unc Ern for his last 12 months of his life up until then he was quite capable
                                  of looking after himself.
                                  I would be much obliged if some one could find out anything about Uncle Ern as to weather or not he had
                                  married more than once.
                                  Cheer's,

Tippo.
                                  Last edited by Tippo; 29-10-13, 22:34.

Comment

Hi Caroline,
                                    You say that Ernest Alfred & Mary Elizabeth had been married 8yrs in1911
                                    I don't know about that as I have their m cert 3 / 5 / 1910. witnesses
                                    C White & May White, Ha, I think I can see it now Ernie m May White but then
                                    I think I need d certs for Mary Elizabeth & May White & possibly m Cert for
                                    Ernie and May. Its getting more complicated by the minute.

Cheer's,

Tippo..
                                    This is why in a reply lower down I have asked if anyone could find out if Ernest
                                    had been married Twice.
                                    Last edited by Tippo; 29-10-13, 17:54.

Comment

88 St Marys Road is now an Estate Agents - Co-op Funeral Parlour has moved to next door to the Post Office...

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                        By 1911, there was no No. 88, but there was family called JONES - all grocers/grocer's assistant living at No. 87 and saddler at No. 89.
                                        Hiya Caroline -
                                        St Marys road was built 1885-1895 ...my old house 11 Heald Street was built 1892 and this was around the corner of the block 88 St Marys rd is on - is it possible 88 St Marys rd was empty rather than not there ??
                                        allan

Comment

Working...
                                        X