In a quandary again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a quandary again!

Joseph Dawson married Rebecca Eliza Little on 2/3/1903, he died in 1907 (Ihave sent for the death cert). Details on his marriage cert say that he was a widower aged 39 and a boiler maker , his father was John Dawson a Carpenter. I am able to find Rebecca before and after their marriage but I just can't find anything for Joseph, either on the census or his first marriage, Can anyone help please.

sunny r

Just logging off Sunny but will have a look tomorrow to see how the replies are coming along and if I can help.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh lovely thanks Chrissie. This family is a bit of a pain.

sunny

Comment

Where were they married?
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

St Matthews Church Islington,London

sunny r

Comment

I've had a quick look on censuses, but rather surprisingly Dawson isn't a very common name in London. It seems to be a name common in the north of England, so could he have been born elsewhere and then moved?

I will have another look tomorrow when I am less tired.
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Hi Val ,Hackney, London drowned in the River Lea

sunny

Comment

Where was Elizabeth on 1911 census? Did she have any of his children from previous marriage with her? If so where were they born?
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started
                  wonder if this is him in 1901 described as a iron Safe Maker ?
                  http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/78...l=ReturnRecord

My Joseph died in 1907, this one is still on the 1911 census, thanks anyway.

sunny

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                    Where was Elizabeth on 1911 census? Did she have any of his children from previous marriage with her? If so where were they born?
                    Have ruled out this was not my Joseph.

sunny

Comment

But where was she on 1911 census Rosy? what info is on there - address - people with her etc
                      Kat

Comment

But where was she on 1911 census Rosy? what info is on there - address - people with her etc
                        Do you mean Rebecca Eliza that he married in 1903 Kat? She was on the 1911 with her 2 sons by Joseph and boarder ,James Strack, whom she married in 1918 . Strack died 1931 and in 1932 she married E G Harris in Romford Essex. I don't know who Joseph's first wife was.

sunny
                        Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 17-10-13, 12:44.

Comment

Just wondering if the boys names were unusual and had any family significance..
                          Was Rebecca in Islington on 1901 census?

Yes sorry I did mean Rebecca not Elizabeth!
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-10-13, 12:05.
                          Kat

Comment

Just wondering if the boys names were unusual and had any family significance..
                            Was Rebecca in Islington on 1901 census?
                            she was with parents as rebecca eliza little on the 1901 her sons by joseph were Percy 1903 and Joseph 1905
                            Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 17-10-13, 10:37.

Comment

I am searching Sunny but haven't found anything useful yet.

Comment

I assume we are looking at the death of the 47 year old in 1907? So it looks as though he may have been lying about his age on the marriage cert?

Comment

Father and son both Carpenters on this one . can't find anything with younger Joseph a boiler maker...as yet.

1881 younger Joseph a Carpenter so I suppose we rule out this family.:(
                                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-10-13, 12:20.
                                  Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    I assume we are looking at the death of the 47 year old in 1907? So it looks as though he may have been lying about his age on the marriage cert?
                                    Hi Chrissie
                                    I have sent for this cert as fairly certain this is Joseph I want, his son Joseph was 2 when he committed suicide. My friend is Joseph junior's daughter. I,too, reckon he lied on the marriage cert about his age as she was so much younger than him wasn't she.

sunny x

Comment

Can't find anything useful at all, this is really difficult one. It would help enourmously if we knew where he was born.

However, a quick thought. I am going out now and don't have time to look, but if he genuinely was a boilermaker, rather than someone who just worked in a boiler factory, he could have served an apprentiship so there may be records still surviving.
                                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

I rang J who's grandfather he was! Conversation went like this,
                                        Me: I sent for marriage cert, joseph married before
                                        J:Oh yes he was
                                        Me: do you know where he was born?
                                        J:No. I just wondered why he came down to London from Liverpool.?
                                        Me: Oh born in Liverpool then
                                        J: may have been he had 5 children with first wife!!!!!
                                        Me: I'll take a look in Liverpool then and ring you again.
                                        J: Oh thankyou.

1901 :Census there he is with wife Ellen and five children in Liverpool!!! Just have to find her death etc: now and can go back for his parents. I wonder what happened to the kids and why he didn't have them with him?

sunny
                                        Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 17-10-13, 13:19.

Comment

Working...
                                        X