Witnesses surnames please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witnesses surnames please.

Liverpool 1862 again. Would appreciate a suggestion for these two.

John & Maria.jpg

Maria Brennen?

Obviously John, but wouldn't like to pass an opinion on the surname!

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I also thought it could be Brennen whilst the other at a stretch might be 'Morgan'
      Thanks Janet.
      Last edited by AlanC; 14-10-13, 17:09.

Comment

I reckon "Maria BRENNEN" seems very likely for the second name.

"John"'s surname is clearly(!) more problematic. I wondered whether - being 1862, and that's an adult signature, so he would have learned his handwriting some years before - that letter with a below-the-line stroke might be an "s". Then the name could be something like MANSEL, though it looks as if there should be another letter between the supposed M & A.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are some Maria Brennans in the 1861 census in Liverpool.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

John Macgee??

Comment

Isn't strange how we see different interpretations? Each very plausible with no idea who is correct.
              In practise, when transcribing, we don't have much time to research as well; it's just enter what you see, or think you see.
              Thanks to Christine, Herky & Ann.
              Last edited by AlanC; 14-10-13, 17:53.

Comment

John Akroyd?
                Fran

Comment

John Mangan?

Marian Brennan

Vera

Comment

John Change

Edna

Comment

Wow!.......Fran, Vera & Edna see totally different names...............one of us must be right.

Comment

I think the first letter of John's surname is an M if you compare it with the M for Maria ;)

Comment

I have to proceed with this Register; thanks for your suggestions, I will enter Maria Brennen & John Morgan (with a question mark) since I have no confidence with it.

Comment

It's probably really easy to read - if you already know what the name ought to be!

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                            X