Anyone an expert on swords please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone an expert on swords please?

One of my ancestors was a Lieut. R.N. around the time of the Napoleonic Wars. I have his portrait and also 3 swords. With a bit of help (not a lot!) from an auctioneer's valuation day and subsequent Googling I have identified one sword as Navy 1805 pattern (as first used by Nelson, apparently) and the other two as Navy 1827 pattern. The dates of the gent in question are 1777 to 1846, so it's quite possible that all three were his, though why he would have two the same I don't know.

The 1827 pattern sword continued in production for many years, so they could be anything up to late 19th. century. His son was a merchant captain (sailed with the Black Ball Line to Australia - see my avatar) so I don't think he would have an RN sword. His grandson was also in the merchant navy (ending up as Marine Superintendent of one of the big shipping lines) but was also appointed an honorary Commander in the Royal Naval Reserve in the 1880s. All I can hope is that the design of the sword changed slightly over the years. None of the swords has any engraving on the blade. The scabbard of one of the 1827 swords has survived.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Excellent battle ready, museum quality reproductions of British Military Heritage swords and sabres at affordable prices with a money-back guarantee.

did you find this site

Comment

or this forum
      Last edited by Guest; 13-10-13, 20:35.

Comment

One of the principal manufacturers of naval and military swords was Wilkinson, more commonly known today as a razor manufacturer. Perhaps they may be able to help if you send some photos etc.

merleyone

Comment

you should go on antiques roadshow? can you email them for an opinion?

Comment

Thanks all for the hints. All I had found so far was commercial militaria sites.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ,
              the Victorian Wars Forum may be able to help you. I've noticed sword threads on there from time to time.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
              X