My Applemac is so slow to connect to the internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Applemac is so slow to connect to the internet

Maybe no one has the answer to my problem but I'm grateful for any help.

I have had internet connection problems intermittently over the years, due to location, however it got much worse recently until it failed completely.
    BT engineer came and worked on the line for two days and replaced some equipment, presuming at the exchange.

In short......my windows 7 pc (which is about 6 years old) was working ok but my new Applemac that I bought in April was very slow to load pages and sometimes doesn't load at all.

I called ISP again and they sent out a new router which I received today and have installed. Neither pc worked properly so called them again. After a bit of adjusting at his end,the old pc with windows 7 is working ok now but my new Applemac takes forever to load a page and sometimes doesn't load at all.

The technical help said the Applemac can be much slower to load the internet than windows......is this so. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the Applemac.
    Kathleen

What apple mac is it. ?
    Which os? At a guess its mountain lion as you say you got it in April
    Are you connecting using wireless or ethernet on either machine.

I use both windows and mac using wireless here and they are both instant.
    Sue ;)

Comment

have a look at this it may help if not get on to Applemac

Comment

Thank you Sue it is OS X version 10.8.5 and the first Applemac I have used so i'm not very familiar with it. Both computers are wireless.
        Thank you too Val I will look at that now.
        Kathleen

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          have a look at this it may help if not get on to Applemac
          http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628?viewlocale=en_US
          If after using the above link does not help. Close down the mac and any other device that is connected to the wireless network.
          Reboot your router.
          Restart the mac, assuming your mac is now playing nicely.
          Restart the other devices one at a time.

Just had another thought.
          Are there any external hard drives cd reader, etc very close to the computer?
          This stopped a friend connecting to the internet using a mac mini
          If so disconnect them. Reconnect one at a time.
          Last edited by Suein10b; 13-10-13, 08:44. Reason: additional info
          Sue ;)

Comment

Thank you Sue, I've been through the diagnostic steps in the link and it seems the computer does loose its connection. My internet connection is being monitored for a few hours but I don't think the connection is the major problem now as the windows pc is working ok except for the drops in connection which I've been told to expect whilst its being monitored.

I've spent quite some time on it this morning so going to have to give up for a while. I have the windows pc in the same room and also a telephone on the desk so later I will remove them and see what happens. I am quite worried about the Applemac as I was told I didn't need any anti virus to protect it like I have with the windows pc.
            Kathleen

Comment

I have never used antivirus on mac.

Where did you buy it?
              As its still under warranty ( even if you didnt buy it direct from an apple store or apple online give apple a ring. They will likely take you through all you have already done on the diagnostics, likely then have it back to repair under warranty to repair.

Alternatively, If you have an apple store nearby you could make an appointment at the genius bar instead. They will do the same as over the phone direct with apple.
              Sue ;)

Comment

Is the telephone a cordless base station??? Quite possible that that is interfering:

These elegant Apple products have revolutionized home computing. Get the most out of your Mac with these useful articles.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I bought it from John Lewis and had option to call them for a length of time but I can't remember how long, I will try them in the morning. I'm wired up with the ethernet at the minute but the connection keeps going off (so I'm having to type this twice)
                  If it keeps connected I will try it without the cable.

Having an intermittent internet connection is one thing but his having old sony working and my mac not isn't good.

Yes Caroline it is a cordless base, if the computer works ok without the wired connection I will move it back into the other room and try moving the other computer and the telephone..
                  I will look at your link Caroline than you.
                  Kathleen

Comment

I dont know if this will help but I installed Microsofts fix it centre you can check all sorts on your pc I have found it very good it even puts things right for you worth a try?

Comment

I could certainly do with a mr fixit Val I've never heard of that although it may not be any use to the applemac I will take a look at it for the windows pc. I had better see if I can get some technical help from apple first. It's sitting on the lounge floor at the minute (in disgrace) Even though it's wired up with ethernet cable I'm sure its slower loading pages than this sony which is at the other end of the house from the router.
                      Kathleen

Comment

Did you ring John Lewis or Apple?
                        Sue ;)

Comment

Yes sue, I did speed checks on both and found the applemac was running slower wired up than the windows pc was wireless. They appear to have fixed my internet connection problems although its still slow at times.

I rang the support that I got when I bought it but of course my 90 days had run out. I had 3 options but chose the option to pay £35 for a phone line help for a 30 day period for 1 issue. The call lasted about an hour, me working under his instructions. One of the things we did was delete the wi fi connection and then make another new one. He also stopped 'dropbox' opening up when I switch on, said it could slow it down but I don't think that has made any difference. At the time it wasn't attached with the ethernet cable but was close to the router, so he said to move it back where I normally keep it and see how it goes. I have a reference no to call him again within the 30 days.

Switched on this morning and got a white page, I wasn't sure if it was the connection that was dropping, so quickly tried the other pc to see if that came on and it did, turned round and so had the applemac by this time........it's having me at it!!!...lol
                          He said the applemac could be slower at loading the fb games than windows!! ...thats irritating

Thank you for your help
                          Kathleen

Comment

Which apple mac model is it?

I have dropbox open when i switch on. does not appear to slow things down.
                            Don't use facebook games so cannot comment there.
                            If its not right call them again..
                            Sue ;)

Comment

Its OSX version 10.8.5

I will call them back if it isn't right although its hard to tell sometimes which is behaving badly the pc or the connection
                              Kathleen

Comment

Working...
                              X