• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwegian merchant seaman

Norwegian merchant seaman
    Hello I have a question.
    Well duh
    Anyway. I am trying to find out about where to contact regarding my Grandfather. He was a Norwegian merchant seaman. I know this from his death certificate. I don't know where in Norway he was born or anything about his life as a merchant seaman. There is only one place I've seen his name but it only tells me a little of their ship getting sunk. No details of how he got back home or any of his travels in fact.
    Can anyone help me?
    Yours Mrs Wendy Landale nee Guldberg

Hi Wendy

I haven't got any experience of researching Norwegian seamen but a Google search came up with this that may be useful

Jackie

Comment

Thank you Night Owl I will give the email address on there a try. I couldn't find that before.
      Yours Wendy

Comment

Did he settle in the UK ?
        what years are we talking about ? do you know what year he was born if you have his death cert ...
        do you have him in any census returns
        ADDED....He is not on here - but in case anyone else is researching Aliens docking at Liverpool and coming to live in the UK
        This website is for sale! liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
        Last edited by garstonite; 12-10-13, 18:59.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Jackie I tried that email address on there and unfortunately it's invalid.
          From Wendy

Comment

Dear Garsonite
            He did settle here and I do have his death certificate and my father's birth certificate. My grand father Rolf Anker Guldberg was born 7 September 1914.
            Yours Wendy

Comment

I'm not sure which of the email addresses you tried but there is a website here for the National Archives of Norway. You can select 'English' in the top RH corner

There's an email address on that page

When you say "he did settle here", what country and period are you talking about? I can't find any reference to him in the England and Wales BMDs
              Jackie

Comment

Jackie it is probable as Wendy is living in Scotland that her Grandfather also settled there too.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                X