X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading 1841 census

What do yo make of this name:-

clip.jpg

It is from HO107, Piece 1143, Book 5, Folio 15, Page 23, line 20 on the left hand page if you want to look at it in context.

I know what the Ancestry transcription says, and several family trees, but I am not sure they are correct.

The release of the Birmingham parish registers has prompted me to look at this family again, but this is the only child I can't find a baptism for.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Possibly Rebecca ??
    Age is in the female column so I think the Ancestry transcription of Richard is wrong!
    Elaine

Comment

Probably Rebecca but there seems to possibly be at least one "i"?
      Could be Robinia or something like that?
      Anne

Comment

I've no idea what the enumerator has written, e.g. what his interpretation of the individual household census sheet was. I think it probable that there lies the problem - whoever filled out the census return sheet didn't have clear or legible writing and the enumerator when copying to his book (what you see on Ancestry) made the best guess he could.

I see on family search Joseph and Susan/Susannah etc had daughters' named Harriet (1817), Lavinia (1823) and Amelia (1819), and sons Joseph (1821), and John (1815).

Bearing in mind the 1841 census rounded down by up to 5yrs people over 15yrs it seems logical 'your' mystery name is supposed to be Lavinia. However not conclusive of course as J and S may have had a child whose baptism isn't on family search.

Comment

Joseph Hackett baptised 1821 (above) was buried 13th Jan 1823, Birmingham, son of Joseph and Susannah

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
            Bearing in mind the 1841 census rounded down by up to 5yrs people over 15yrs it seems logical 'your' mystery name is supposed to be Lavinia. However not conclusive of course as J and S may have had a child whose baptism isn't on family search.
            Not Lavinia as she too died pre adulthood.

Lavinia Hackett, age 4 buried 14 Jan 1828 at Birmingham, St Philip, dau of Joseph and Susanna

Comment

The mystery person is not Amelia either as she married in 1840.

It's a puzzle as I can't find records for any other dau born 1821 - 1826 approx.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The original census form would not have been filled out by Joseph or Susanna as they were illiterate (they both signed X as witnesses on their eldest daughter Susannah's marriage certificate).

I can't find any suitable baptism, nor can I find anyone on the 1851 census for Rebecca (or anything remotely similar). It seems strange that Joseph and Susanna had all of their other children baptised (at St. Martins, Birmingham) but not Rebecca.

Of course she could be a neice; I really wish there were relationships on the 1841!
                Last edited by PeteW1959; 11-10-13, 19:03.
                Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

I read the name as Rebecca.
                  Rebecca Hackett married in Kings Norton district in Q2 1846 (vol 18 page 581) Narrowing down the groom by tracing each on the 1851 she seems to have married Henry Mills. They appear on the 1851 census HO107/2058 folio 574 page 8, him aged 26 her 25 both born Birmingham and with a baby son Clement. I know this doesn't get us any further forward in seeing how she fits the Hackett family but at least narrows down year of birth (the 1841 age could have been anything from 15 to 19 because of rounding down but looks like 15 was correct.)
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

according to Marriage Locator the marriage took place at St Bartholomew Edgbaston

(On Ancestry St Bartholomew marriages start in July 1847)
                    Last edited by Mike Fisher; 11-10-13, 20:23.
                    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Ancestry does have the 1846 marriage http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/49...l=ReturnRecord

They married on May 10th. I can't see a name in the father's name column for Rebecca but witnesses were William and Susannah Hackett
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

William Hackett could be Joseph and Susanna's eldest son William (b 1808). There is a marriage for William to Susannah Griffith in 1830 that could fit, but there aren't any fathers listed that early so I can't be 100% certain.

I suppose Rebecca could be an illegitimate niece, which would explain both the lack of baptism and the lack of a father on the marriage cert.
                        Last edited by PeteW1959; 11-10-13, 20:57.
                        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Working...
                        X