WW1 Pensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Pensions

I have a man in my tree , he was born on the Isle of Wight and he joined the Australian Army in August 1914 .
    He was killed in Gallipoli in August 1915 , after an Australian Army investigation and another from the Australian Red Cross his Daughter received a Pension of £ 13 p.a. until the age of 16 . the Widow received a Pension of £ 52 p.a .

Does anybody know what the Widow of a Britsh man joining the British Army who was killed would receive .

Ken

Thanks Val that was very helpful. Looks like the Widow would have received a pension of £ 35-88 from the British Army .

Maybe the family stories are true , it is said he joined the Australian Army because they would pay a larger pension if he got killed .

Ken

Comment

thats sad Ken to be worrying that much about being killed.

Comment

My husband's grandmother was widowed with two young sons in 1918 when her husband was killed in action. He was a Serjeant when he died and she used to say all she got was ten bob (10 shillings/50p) a week. Whether this was just her saying an easy amount to remember or whether the ten bob was his pension and she got more for the 2 boys I don't know. I do know that she took in washing & ironing for many years to pay the rent of their 3 room flat in South London as the pension wasn't enough to cover all the bills.
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
        X