Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Algerian records

Hi,
    I'm trying to trace a pieds noir familymy late father befriended in Setif while stationed there in 1942-43. The two names I have are Gilbert and Lucienne (Lulu) Fillon, who lived in the Rue de 3eme Tirailleurs. Gilbert was an NCO in that Tirailleurs unit; he had been captured at the fall of France but had escaped and made his way back to Setif.
    Lulu and my father exchanged photos until 1947 when he married my late mother, and I still have them and photos of Gilbert and her father.
    If any of them are still alive they will be at least in their 90s. I suspect they may have moved to France when the civil war broke out, but wouldn't know where to start looking, as I gather Fillon is quite a common name. I have also posted this request in the Algeria.com forums, so perhaps someone will be able to kick-start some research.
    I can be contacted at the_historian@talk21com.
    Thanks in advance,
    Gordon.

I think you might find some very useful leads here, which mentions the FILLONs:

I found these two picture postcards from 1941 or 1942 showing the French garisson of Setif, Algeria. There aren't too many details, but Ilike to...

This is Lucienne's death announcement I believe, sadly [if correct] just a few months ago:

(In looking at the first thread it seems that it is yours: it may be worth contacting the family of which there seems many regarding the death of Lucienne to verify if it is the right family)
    Last edited by Bertie; 11-10-13, 09:30.

Comment

The death notice gives three clues as to possible whereabouts of Lucienne: perhaps one of these will be able to respond to an email?

MARPA

http://www.marpa.fr/index.php?id=166&tx_marpa[marpaUid]=140&cHash=68731f7c59e6d93d0f8f0226e3d50db4

ADMR

Le Cle de Sol

Comment

Re: Lucienne Fillon

Thanks Bertie! That first thread was indeed mine.
        My French isn't particularly good, so I was a bit bamboozled by all the acronyms. I'll try contacting those places and the family to see if there's a connection, but I have a feeling Fillon was Lulu's maiden name.
        Worth a try though, thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X