Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I missing??

Hi all.

A recent) new clue in my family research has just surfaced (thanks to this thread on here: http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...-find-this-man but it has left me with some confusion.

I am trying to trace forward, the lives of Tom and Sarah Mansell, the details I have for each of them are:

Tom
    Born as Tom Cooke as his parents were unmarried at the time, but his father was William Mansell. GRO: Tom Cooke Dec 1880 Ross 6a 444 (Parents William and Maria)
    Married to Sarah J Coopey on 18th October 1899, as Tom Cook Mansell. Parish record plus GRO: Dec 1899 Ross 6a 1055
    Had several children between 1899 (Mary) and 1915 (Olive).
    I have his census details somewhere, but not to hand. There is nothing odd in them, and obviously nothing beyond 1911 yet lol.

Sarah
    Born as Sarah Jane Coopey. GRO: Dec 1879 Westbury 6a 272 (Parents Joseph and Isabella)
    Married to Tom Cook Mansell on 18th October 1899. Parish record plus GRO: Dec 1899 Ross 6a 1055
    Had several children between 1899 (Mary) and 1915 (Olive).
    1881 census: At home with parents
    1891 census: At home with parents
    1901 census: With Tom and their children
    1911 census: With Tom and their children

I don't know what happens to either of them after this, not sure how to find out. I'm not too bad at going backwards but seem to have no luck at all trying to come forwards in history.

In the other thread, it was suggested from personal memory that Tom died in 1918, in South Wales from the flu epidemic. I can't find any GRO reference of him dying - anywhere, ever, (he must be very old by now, lol!) and that Sarah re-married a Joseph Coopey (not helpful, given that was also her father's name lol!). A possible GRO reference I can see for that is: GRO Q3 1920. Westbury Severn 6a 858. Mention was also made of another family - Aldington - but I cannot see anything like this. Also, there were apparently two other children - Farmer and Cal - odd names? I don't know if these were with Tom or Joseph.

Any thoughts as to what happened to Tom or Sarah?

Thank you in advance, I'm getting quite confused!

Regards
    Rachel x

Further to my own question lol, could this be Sarah's death? GRO: Dec 1929 Coopey Sarah 48 Westbury S. 6a 290

Comment

Ditto, just found that one. Looks like a possible.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Rachandgarry View Post
        Further to my own question lol, could this be Sarah's death? GRO: Dec 1929 Coopey Sarah 48 Westbury S. 6a 290
        According to the Forest of Dean website, details as follows:

Sarah COOPEY
        Burial : 16 Nov 1929
        Residence: Ruardean Hill
        age at death - 48 years
        Parish Chapel: Drybrook
        Elaine

Comment

There's a Thomas Mansell, died 1918, aged 37 in Glamorganshire, Wales. Birth year given as 1881. Death registered in Merthyr Tydfil. Could that be him?

He was buried 2nd November 1918.
          Last edited by Felix; 10-10-13, 14:21.

Comment

LOL you are completely brilliant Felix! I cannot believe it didn't occur to me to search Thomas, instead of Tom. Of course, searches were never going to find it because I was typing it wrong by the time I got to the second letter! Doh!

That sounds completely plausible. Thank you x

Comment

Thank you Elaine - that seems to link up. Soooooo I wonder what she was doing between 1918 and 1929.

I'm just doing some research in to whether it was feasible for Tom to be down in South Wales (to die there in 1918) when the family was still in Forest of Dean Q3 of 1917 to have the child Alice B K Mansell (GRO: Sep 1917 Mansell Alice B K Coopey Westbury S. 6a 378). Would it have been common to be away from home then? There were mines in the FoD so not sure why he would have left. Maybe they all did. I hate not knowing lol.

Thanks all,
              Rachel x

Comment

Rachel, I found his death on Genes Reunited and then the burial reference on the Forest of Dean site. Can't see it on ancestry yet. But if you go to the Forest of Dean site you can find the burial record in the Parish Records there. Glad to be of help.

When you said I'm not too bad at going backwards but seem to have no luck at all trying to come forwards in history. - me too! Exactly! :o

Comment

Thanks Felix! I am on the FoD site now but it is playing silly ******s, I have been registered for years on there but it keeps saying I can't search because I'm not logged in. I log in, then it does the same again! Grrrr!

Comment

Rachel, if you compare the burial entries for Thomas Mansell and Sarah Coopey on the Forest of Dean website they seem to have the same Register reference - P109 IN 1/14
                    (possibly plot number ???)
                    Elaine

Comment

Oooooh now that is interesting. I went to the church, but got nowhere with finding any graves or anything. Will look in to this.

What the heck was going on though - he died in Glamorgan, yet was buried in Drybrook and his residence is listed as Gilfach. There are a couple of Gilfach's but none are near Drybrook. Odd.

Just checked and all Register references are the same - even for someone called jones in 1919. booooo.
                      Last edited by Rachandgarry; 10-10-13, 14:57.

Comment

The FOD site was updated recently and there were a few glitches, but it seems to be behaving today. :o

Comment

Working...
                        X