Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage hunt

Hi all

Can someone have a look for me for a marriage of Walter Frederick Britten and Elizabeth ?

probably london.middlesex area

I have them on census and electoral rolls which suggest they married c 1894, the first child bertha was born 1895

Afew ancestry trees have them but again no marriage.

I have tried all the usual combinations but cant seem to even get a close match, so if you experts cant pin them down then the marriage probably didnt exist.
    Lorraine

There is a marriage for a Walter Frederick Britten Q3 1897 St Giles, London. One of the other names on the page is Elizabeth Cowie.

Jane

Comment

If you can get to your local library and they have Ancestry.com, you could have a look at the image of a marriage register entry from the next generation (if you don't already have it):
      Elizabeth May BRITTEN, d/o Walter Frederick BRITTEN, marries Edward BURE in May 1920.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
        There is a marriage for a Walter Frederick Britten Q3 1897 St Giles, London. One of the other names on the page is Elizabeth Cowie.

Jane
        jane your a star, why o why i just could not see it, using a 5 year search it just does not appear but on a single year search its there.

Thank you so much
        Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          If you can get to your local library and they have Ancestry.com, you could have a look at the image of a marriage register entry from the next generation (if you don't already have it):
          Elizabeth May BRITTEN, d/o Walter Frederick BRITTEN, marries Edward BURE in May 1920.

Christine
          Thank christine, i have all the children and marriages of them, just couldnt get the marriage.

The other trees on ancestry dont have it either, i wonder why its not being found on searches or perhaps could be a new addition.

thanks to jane i can breathe out now lol
          Lorraine

Comment

It's possible that it had been mistranscribed before and has only just been corrected. One of the Lost Cousins newsletters remarked on a great block of GRO index names that had been labelled with the wrong year, for example.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              It's possible that it had been mistranscribed before and has only just been corrected. One of the Lost Cousins newsletters remarked on a great block of GRO index names that had been labelled with the wrong year, for example.

Christine
              very interesting you say that christine, because one of the sons of my pair was on ancestry as birth amj 1902 and this is what others had in trees but by a fluke i found him with his family (badly mistranscribed) in the 1901 census, of course utter confusion followed so i sent for the 1902 cert and it was my rellie but born march 1901.

This brith entry now appears on ancestry as 1901, so perhaps there was a batch that were a year out and they have put them right.

Think they do it just to boggle the brains of us poor hunters lol
              Lorraine

Comment

Working...
              X