Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ada Florence Louise Critchell Humphries

Hi all

I'm trying and failing to find a date of death for Ada Florence Louise Critchell born 1907 in Lambeth. Daughter of William Richard Critchell 1867-1946 and Ada Elizabeth Winslow 1879-1939. Ada Florence married George Stanley Humphries in Wandsworth in 1934 and George Stanley died in 1960 in Kensington. No biological children as far as we can tell. I can trace Ada Florence on the electoral roll till 1964, living at the family home, 17 Burntwood Grange Road in Wandsworth, but that's it. I can't find a remarriage that's an obvious match either. No doubt I'm being dim and missing something obvious, but any help in finding her date of death would be greatly appreciated.

Had a quick look and can't see anything that would help.

Might be worth asking the Wandsworth Library if they can check electoral roll after 1964 to get a fix on when she wasn't there.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks for trying :o

Comment

Do you know her exact date of birth?
        Jackie

Comment

No, not precisely to the day. Just that it was in March 1907. I've tried going through the list on ancestry of all the likely Ada's who have died since 1964 and who were born in March 1907, but nothing so far. ;)

Comment

Do you know that she was definitely born in March, rather than just in the March quarter, which includes Jan, Feb, Mar 1907 and sometimes late December registrations from 1906?

(My daughter was born mid November, I did not register her birth till early January and it appears in the March quarter)

OC

Comment

That's a good point. I've been told by a fellow family delver that that's when she was born. But I haven't got a birth cert for her.

Thanks

Comment

Here she is in 1911 age 4 http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord which was age at last birthday.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks, yes, that's her. Sorry, I should have said I've got the family's census records on both sides going back to 1841. (which also raises the interesting question of whether dad William Richard was a bigamist?)

But given that the 1911 census was in early April, Ada could have been born late 1906 or the first months of 1907. :o

Comment

Yes, that's true
                    I wonder if she went abroad after George died? Can't see anything on the passenger lists.
                    Margaret

Comment

Yes, I had a look on the passenger lists but couldn't find anything either. My thought is that she stayed put because there was other family in London and more family in Dorset.

If she remarried it may have been as Florence or as Ada Louise maybe? She was only in her early 50's when she was widowed so a possibility perhaps? There are so many Ada's around though and quite a few variations of her name with the surname Humphries! It was a very popular name when she was born. :o

Comment

You've probably seen George's Will. Wonder if Ada too left a Will although I can't see anything on Ancestry and not being very helpful, not sure where else to look for Wills.

Vera

Comment

Thanks so much. Yes, George left a will and left his assets to his wife. Not knowing when exactly Ada died, I'm not sure where to look for wills either. ;)

Comment

Dont laugh but I wonder if she could have lived to a good age? as there is a Ada Florence Humphries in the electoral roll for 2002 living in 88 Rugby Road Brighton ????

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              Dont laugh but I wonder if she could have lived to a good age? as there is a Ada Florence Humphries in the electoral roll for 2002 living in 88 Rugby Road Brighton ????
                              She's there until 2008! Long lived wasn't she, if it's the right Ada of course.
                              My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

my nan was 100 and her aunt is still alive at 101 our family has some long lived women, so you never know ?and I can see you laughing tut tut tut

Comment

I was thinking that too - there are something like ten thousand people alive over the age of 100 and they have to be related to someone!

OC

Comment

or maybe she moved in with someone without getting married and the death record is under his surname?

Comment

I am so not laughing everyone because I'm also still trying to find Ada's cousin, born 1912, and there's no record of his death either. Maybe they both have these wonderful genes.

Thanks for finding that. I'll go do another Ada Florence search later and see if I can narrow things down. :o

Comment

Whats the cousins details ??
                                        I was also thinking if you got her birth cert it might help finding her death as you could then put that in the death search, I have been going through the deaths on Ancestry just using Ada Florence Louise without a surname just in case and putting the year 1907 for the birth, but there are a few likely ones .

Comment

Working...
                                        X