Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maiden name or married name on Ancestry trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden name or married name on Ancestry trees?

I tend to keep my female ancestors under their maiden names on my Ancestry trees but just wondered if others do the same?

...and is there any difference in sticking to the maiden name or changing to the married one in terms of hints and research?

Thank you

Amanda
    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-13, 13:29.

I think you should use Maiden names in Trees otherwise research can be difficult.
    You could end up with tips for the wrong surname.
    Last edited by AlanC; 07-10-13, 13:42.

Comment

It is always maiden names otherwise your tree would look very odd in pedigree view! Also would get confusing with others of the same name but from birth.

When you do a search for records from an ancestry tree it does give both names for searching so you should get results for each surname.

Margaret

Comment

That's what I thought, thank you both.

Amanda

Comment

When I don't know the maiden name of the woman I put the married surname in brackets.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
            When I don't know the maiden name of the woman I put the married surname in brackets.
            I agree. I'll enter the given name as "Mary (Smith)" and leave the surname blank. If/when I eventually find the maiden name, I'll erase the married name.

One problem with Ancestry: they'll enter the married name as the surname - and you must stay alert when you're loading from a record, such as a census.

Comment

I enter "Mary UNKNOWN (Mrs Smith)" until I have found the maiden name.

The accepted practise is to enter a woman under her maiden name in trees.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                I enter "Mary UNKNOWN (Mrs Smith)" until I have found the maiden name.
                I enter these as Mary (Smith) in FTM. These "unknowns" appear first in the surname index. It only gets complex if the husband dies and she remarries, but that's quite rare.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X