PDA

View Full Version : Record Office: Gloucestershire Record Office

Tippin
07-10-13, 08:38
Hi,

Would anybody be visiting Gloucester Record Office that could do a quick look up for me?

I am after the details for a marriage that happened on the 29th September 1787 at Weston Subedge. The people involved were William Freeman & Sarah Gold.
From index's online it looks like William Freeman came from a place called Bidford, but it does not tell me what county Bidford was in (I am hoping Warwickshire).

Many thanks,
Tippin

Punchs mum
07-10-13, 08:42
Just Googled and there is a Bidford on Avon in Warwickshire.

Hopefully, this is the answer you are wanting!

Lesley.

Tippin
07-10-13, 14:31
Hi Lesley,

That is what I am hoping for (my Freeman ancester's were from Bidford on Avon), but due to the lake of "on Avon" to the placename, I am unsure if there could be another Bidford in the area (I can't find anything on current maps, but that does not mean to say that is was a small hamlet somewere).

I just can't justify paying the travel fair to get to Gloucester if it turns out that the Bidford in question was in Northamptonshire or somewhere similar! (Although I am 99% certain it will read Warwickshire).

Thanks,
Tippin

scuda
07-10-13, 14:59
I just can't justify paying the travel fair to get to Gloucester if it turns out that the Bidford in question was in Northamptonshire or somewhere similar! (Although I am 99% certain it will read Warwickshire).

I suspect the register won't mention a county. Bidford was so close to Weston Subedge (less than 10 miles away), that I think it would have been known, and no more exact details given.

scuda

PhotoFamily
08-10-13, 15:09
familysearch appears to have bidford-on-avon indexed online. You can use the archer software to sort out what you want
http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/fs-war.htm
You can request the film to your nearest Family History Centre, or request the free lookup service from familysearch.