Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registry Office Weddings

Hi all

This is no doubt a very silly question, but do Registry Offices keep records of marriages that you can go and look at like Parish Registers? With signatures? Or is a marriage certificate all that you can get for a Registry Office marriage?

Thanks heaps

It was 42 years ago and all I remember is receiving is a Marriage Certificate......................Oh! and a wife

Comment

ha ha! I like that. ;)

I was married in a church and got a marriage certificate too, but I did sign a book, along with the witnesses. That's why I was wondering if there would be Registry Office records somewhere, in the same way.

Comment

Yes, they do keep a register, just as a church does.

Yes, in theory, by law, you can go and look at the register....but you will have to pay a research fee (something like £40 an hour) because you have to be supervised by the Registrar. Many ROs will tell you that you are not allowed to look at the registers. You can argue with them.......

In the good old days, before hysteria started regarding data protection and identity theft, it was possible to go and browse the register, with the registrar keeping an eye on you. Once they knew you, they would pretty much leave you alone. that has all stopped now.

However, if all you want is a comparative signature, you could email the relevant office and ask them to send you a tracing of the signature. I have done this once or twice, admittedly a few years ago now.

OC

Comment

Thanks! I'll do some delving now

Comment

Of course, you could just buy the cert from the local RO, asking for a photocopy. Mioght be a lot simpler in the long run!

OC

Comment

Hadn't thought of that at all. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Of course, you could just buy the cert from the local RO, asking for a photocopy. Mioght be a lot simpler in the long run!

OC
                I asked Sandwell for that, when I wanted to compare my grandfather's signature in 1911 with a social security number application by someone of the same (similar) name in the USA in 1936. I explained that I'd already bought a certificate and asked for a photocopy, explaining why. I got a very apologetic reply, explaining that they didn't have the equipment to make copy-certificates like that without damaging the registers... but they had managed to copy the signatures, and there was a little rectangle of paper stapled to the bottom of the letter, showing my grandparents' signatures on their wedding certificate.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

Yes, I have only ever been refused a photocopy twice and both times it was because the register was too fragile to photocopy. Both times they sent me a tracing of the signature.

Not every RO will do this now, since services have been so cut back - but if you don't ask, you'll never know!

OC

Comment

Thanks both :o

Comment

Working...
                    X