Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8

I have been thinking of buying a new desktop but am wondering if I should go the whole hog and have windows 8 installed or whether I should stick to 7.

Wondering if any member has 8 and what their experiences are with it. Personally I am not too happy about having a touch screen, would rather control

the computer from the keyboard. Can envisage lots of dirty fingerprints soon accumulating on a touch screen, and with a desk top how do you reach

across to access the thing. Any comments welcome good and bad.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Totally agree about the desktop touchscreen probably the fast way to future problems with joints. Having said that I am using Windows 8 happily with keyboard and mouse. It certainly seems faster than windows 7, start-up time is quicker. The new interface is irritating, trying to position the mouse in the precise corner of the screen to get pop-outs to emerge is a real pain but again it can be overcome by using the keyboard. Almost all actions have a keyboard shortcut. I actually have a compact Logitech keyboard specifically designed for Windows 8 with function keys set up to do the charms. The other complaint is about the lack of start menu and to start with it feels odd but in fact after a few days I don't miss it. The much maligned start screen does an equally good job in my opinion and you can use the search (available but not so integrated in Windows 7) to find what you want.

However, I tend to use what are now called desktop programs more than the windows apps and that does mean that I have not really lost anything in relation to windows 7. The decision to not allow apps to properly share screen real estate was amazingly stupid and will I think be at least partially removed in a couple of weeks by Windows 8.1.

I would recommend going for windows 8 and don't allow the salesman to push you to a touch screen monitor (unless you can bury it horizontally in your desk!

One thing that is pretty much certain is that the Microsoft juggernaut is not going to be turned back, Windows 8 is becoming more popular., and eventually support for Windows 7 will disappear.

Comment

Thanks for that David. I think that it may be well worth waiting until win 8.1 is freely available and see what improvement it provides, and not get pushed into buying the 8

version. In any case I wouldn't buy a new monitor as I have a 21 inch philips which has proved to be quite adequate over the years.

David

Comment

David,
        I have a laptop with a mouse and keyboard connected to it. Also is plugged in to my old monitor so I put me tree on one monitor and can search the net on the other one. It has Windows 8 as that is what you have to have. Took me a while to get used to it but now I don't remember how to use Windows 7.
        Tora

Comment

Don't be afraid of Windows 8!

I had to get a new computer and was dreading it. Now I love it! Here's one or two pointers.
          1. You do NOT need a touch screen
          2. The fancy "tiles" are just a quick way into some programs
          3. You can configure exactly which tiles you have on the front screen
          4. You can mostly work from the normal desktop as you are used to.
          5. Turning off just involves two clicks as before but in a different place

I recommend reading some lists of hints and tips to be found on Google. Don't be afraid of it!

Anne

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies - looks like a trip to the computer vendors coming up soonest as this machine is starting to get a bit shaky (was a Vista edition originally)

David

Comment

Working...
            X