What would a marriage entry show me ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a marriage entry show me ?

Any chance of a marriage entry from 1801 showing me the place of residence of the groom or a witness ? Someone has offered to go to the archives for me, but I don't want to send them off on a wild goose chase.

Thanks

Assuming you mean England and Wales parish register entries there won't be addresses, but the groom and bride will be described as "of this parish" or "of ........" with the name of the parish they reside in. There will only be witness signatures, no place of residence for them.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

What are you hoping to establish?.. Do you need the actual address?
      Even well into registration, many of my folk married with just the name of the town or village shown, - no actual address.

Original signatures can be very helpful in determining identity and family links.

Gwyn

Comment

If the couple married by Licence, that could be helpful and the Licence would be available probably from wherever registration took place (I have never applied for one so am not sure). Beware of "otp" i.e. "of this parish" - I have one of those - neither party lived there but had fulfilled the residency requirements by residing in the Parish for 3 weeks while the Banns were read. Original signatures are good - unfortunately, if a very old marriage the signature was often an "X" for both parties. Quite often also, one of the witnesses will be the "resident witness" and will be found on most if not all marriages on that day.
        All is not doom and gloom though - your relatives are probably not as devious as my lot.:o

Sue

Comment

Here's one from 1834, but I think the ones from 1801 would have been on the same/similar form.

Marriage example (2).jpg

or here's one from 1808 ...

Marriage example 2 (2).jpg
          Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 06-10-13, 12:54.
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

You might find something useful in the Parish Registers section of the FTF Reference Library.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have several pre-registration marriages which do show quite a lot of information including a vague address, eg, tiptree Lane, the Willows Farm, the Red Bank, etc. These were in Lancashire and Cheshire.

The Cheshire marriages in this instance had been recorded in the Banns book and the Vicar had allowed everyone present at the marriage to sign as witnesses! This was a marvellous help to me as it pointed up some marriages I hadn't been sure of for siblings.

OC

Comment

Thanks very much. I'm trying to find out what parish/village one of the witnesses was living in. As the other witness was a female with the same surname as the bride, it seems probable that the male witness was from the groom's side.....neither the groom nor the witness seem to have been born in the parish where the wedding took place...so I'm just hoping they (groom & male witness) were living in the same town/ village as one another

Comment

Grey

Sorry to say, I have never ever seen the address of a witness recorded, not even in a vague sort of way.

OC

Comment

Have you looked for a possible marriage between the 2 witnesses?
                    I have seen several parish entries where witnesses were later married.

If your witnesses married, you might hopefully find them in a later census.

Comment

On one day, two brothers married two sisters. The (unmarried) pair were witnesses to the first marriage and the married couple were witnesses to the second.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X