Philadelphia passenger list check, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philadelphia passenger list check, please

Please would someone be kind enough to check the Philadelphia passenger lists to see if a Sarah Hall arrived 29 April 1882?
    If so, where did she sail from and on what ship?

Several trees on Ancestry give her an Aug 1869 birth, making her 12 when she emigrated to Pennsylvania. Did she travel with any other Halls?

There's hardly any 1890 US census remains and I'm finding Pennsylvania records (marriages, births and deaths) quite tricky to research before 1906. So, although Sarah is alleged to have married my relative in 1884 and to have had five children before her untimely death in 1893, I'm having difficulty finding any evidence to check out these facts and dates. (I know the names, dates etc of the children.)

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-10-13, 15:33.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

These are the Sarah Halls from Ancestry: Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945

Arrived on the "Pennysylvania" from Liverpool 29th April 1882
    Sarah Hall wife (no husband listed that I can see) age 50 est 1830
    Sarah Hall age 9 est 1873
    Eliz age 6 est 1876
    Cath (transcribed as Carl but in Female column) age 10 est 1872
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Not a lot of information I'm afraid.
      Sarah Hall 50
      Sarah Hall 9
      Eliz Hall 7
      Cath Hall 10

Embarked Liverpool on the Pennsylvania

I don't think this one could have married in 1884!

Anne

Sorry, crossed with Caroline!
      Last edited by Marmaduke 123; 04-10-13, 15:56.

Comment

Thanks both - I rather suspect one person did a lot of excellent research some years ago and that others have come across the published tree. In their eagerness to fill in the gaps, I think they MAY have gone along the "it's the only record I can find so it MUST be right" route.

I'm sure my rellie Robert DID marry a Sarah Hall - the one marriage record I've found for a child of Robert quotes Sarah Hall as mother. According to census records, their first child was born in Pennsylvania in 1885. There's no passenger record as yet for Robert, who claimed he immigrated in 1883, he could have met Sarah on the journey out.
        Back to trawling census both sides of the pond.:(

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Mmmmmm - the Sarah I'm looking for was the daughter of a Sarah, and she did have a sister Cath a couple of years older than her and another younger sister Elizabeth.

I can't find the parents in post 1881 census. They were a coal mining family and may not have been too good on calculating. it is starting to look a possibility.

Wonder if father & the boys went first? (I believe there were drives to get experienced UK miners to go over to the developing pits in Pennsylvania around this time?)

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-10-13, 16:38.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes, maybe...... I've come across a couple of cases before where the ages of the children have been reduced on passenger lists. I seem to think I've read somewhere that under 11s had free or very reduced passage. How about Margaret Ann? Any sign of her anywhere?

Anne

Comment

I've answered my own question! Here she is:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=WAI&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GS st=40&GScntry=4&GSsr=561&GRid=47709508&

Comment

Thanks for that, Anne.
                I'm still looking over the data in the Ancestry trees and trying to verify it all (or not!) I was just sorting out "alleged" Margaret Williams, formerly Wain in 1900 census, so you've now saved me the trouble!
                There was also a sister Rachel Hall, reported to have married Andrew McDonald in Pennsylvania in 1884 - I haven't dealt with her yet!
                The Halls as such are not really anything to do with my family, apart from Sarah who married my kinsman, and maddeningly enough with her dying in 1893, I can find no US documentation for her - no census, no marriage lic, no death record. Just a mention of her when one of her children married.
                I have a great admiration for the meticulous work of the original searcher, but even she hasn't managed to unearth any paperwork re Sarah, apart from a photo she shared with someone (who has then posted that on the internet) and a letter from a relative who remembered meeting Catherine Hall, sister of Sarah.
                And now I seem to have allowed myself to get sucked in to Hallmania!

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-10-13, 14:24.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

One GOOD has come out of this - another sister Isabella married and stayed in Derbyshire. In 1911 two of her sons sailed off to Philadelphia to the work in the Cambrian coalfields and the elder married his first cousin, Sarah's daughter, in 1914. So, I've sorted out his origins, thanks to the Hall chase.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                  X