Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any free on-line resources for Gloucestershire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any free on-line resources for Gloucestershire?

The tree I am researching at present has a lot of ancestors firmly rooted in Gloucestershire and I am struggling to find information. Even good old igi is sadly lacking with data. Maybe I have been so lucky with the location of my ancestors that I assumed that other places were equally well covered.

Sandra

The Forest of Dean Family History Trust is an excellent site if your family is from that area

We invite you to read, share and make new connections with other Forest of Dean researchers with the help of the resources that we make available.

Also the Gloucestershire BMD Indexes are good.:o

Comment

Hi Felix,

Thank you for your response. Part of my problem is that the tree I am researching is not my family hence the request for assistance. Are there any sites which offer information prior to 1837? I will certainly look at the links you have posted.

P.S I have just registered with the forest of Dean Family History Trust

Many thanks,

Sandra
      Last edited by Sherbertrose; 02-10-13, 09:32.

Comment

The FOD site does have a lot of pre-1837 parish records and lots of great information about that area prior to the 19th century.

Comment

have you tried these links?

and GFHS sells CDs which will take you back to 1813.

Parish Mouse has lots from Glos.

Also, the http://gfhs.org.uk/ sells CDs which will take you back to 1813 and 1754 for Marriages.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Thank you for your responses. Felix I am finding FOD very useful. I have just found a marriage for 1854 which helps confirm that I am on the correct track. Caroline, when I have got as much as I can from FOD I will investigate the other website which you kindly suggested.

Sandra

Comment

Always nice to be on the right track in the family research labyrinth.

Comment

This is very good for parishes bordering Worcestershire (there is a little overlap with the FoD site): http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....y.com/~wrag44/

If you need any early 19th century Glos records (ie pre 1837) send me a pm and I may be able to help.

scuda
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

In case you don't realise it, I'll point out that Glos BMD, suggested by Felix, gives mother's maiden name for all births (even back to 1837) and age for all deaths, although coverage is not yet complete.

scuda
                  Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi Scuda, Thank you for your kind offer and additional advice. Gloucestershire is a county that I am not too familiar with as my own family history did not stray too far in this direction. I may take you up on your offer of look ups as I am sure at some point I am going to come to a dead end. The names I am predominately focusing on are Fowler, Boulton, Matthews and Hancock.

Sandra

Comment

Sandra, I've replied to your pm. I see from your last post that one of your research names is Hancock. I have the Hancock family from the Leigh (between Gloucester and Tewkesbury) in my tree - any connection?

scuda

Comment

Hi Jane,

Looks like there is a connection. Judith Hancock born 1762 The Leigh married James Matthews. Her parents were William Hancock and Elizabeth Shayle. Elizabeth died in 1767 and William remarried Eleanor Roberts and they had 7 known children.

Sandra

Comment

Hi Sandra, Definitely a connection. William Hancock and his second wife Eleanor Roberts are my 4xgreat grandparents. I have 10 children for them. We should compare notes.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                          X