• Show
Clear All

• WW2 medal info.

John Edwin Thomas Storey.
    Rank Gunner.
    Service No 1684975.
    Date of Death 28/12/1941.
    Regiment Royal Artillery.

John was killed in Jordan in the Western Desert. I'm trying to find if he was awarded any medals or if he has known a war grave.

Any help would be appreciated.

Apologies I thought I had sent this post but cant seem to find it posted.

Johns name is commemorated on the Alamein Memorial, name on column 38. It would appear therefore that he has no known grave.

I would think that he would have been entitled to the 1939-45 war medal, defence medal and the western desert star at least.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

do you have his scroll of honour ??

Comment

Hi,

No I haven't got John's scroll of honour.

I have been trying this last few days to get all info I could on John for his daughter who never knew her father as she was just a baby
        when he died she knew he was killed in WW2 but not where and when.

Comment

Unlike the WW1 medal cards, I don't think there is a list of medals awarded for service in WW2.
          They were not distributed automatically; men had to apply for them.
          As a next of kin, his daughter may be entitled to apply for his full army record - however this would be at a cost (around £30????) and takes several months.

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 02-10-13, 07:53.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

This would be a useful site for you: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

For a small charge you can get a photo of his name on the memorial here

This volunteer project has accumulated over 1.7 million photographs of war graves and memorials around the world of all nationalities. Originally working in association with CWGC and other Commonwealth agencies, TWGPP allows relatives to obtain an image of a relations headstone or memorial.
              Jackie

Comment

Thank you to every one who's helped me in my search.

I have been doing this for a friend who never knew her Father only knew that he was killed in the war a she was just a baby when he died.

I know have photo's of John's scroll of honour a photo of the memorial and garden and one of his name on the memorial without your help none of this would of happened.

Maureen.

Comment

Working...
                X