Who did the bride marry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who did the bride marry?

A difficult Register where the Curate's writing isn't good and he has to write in Groom's name. In FreeBMD it is entered as 'Male' but it could be 'Vale' or even 'Bale'.................can anyone help please...............also make a suggestion for 2nd witness signature.

first october.jpg

witness first oct.jpg

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
    A difficult Register where the Curate's writing isn't good and he has to write in Groom's name. In FreeBMD it is entered as 'Male' but it could be 'Vale' or even 'Bale'.................can anyone help please...............also make a suggestion for 2nd witness signature.
    Difficult to tell without more of the curate's writing to compare with but Freebmd have him as Male because he was entered on the GRO index as Male. You can view the original index http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/infor...bmd_1378192000
    Of course the indexers back in the 19th century may have misread the name but I see there were several others of that name, including another in Liverpool.

The witness name looks like McLallan to me
    Last edited by JudithM; 01-10-13, 08:22.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Another guess for the witness - McCallan.

Tora

Comment

Thanks Judith. The next marriage shows groom as a Mariner and the 'M' is similar so it's probably 'Male' but in isolation it could be anything. If you didn't know the form of William, you'd be hard pushed to figure the first letter of his Christian name.

Comment

the groom's name looks like 'vale' but the signature looks like 'neale'. the second wittness looks like 'mary mccallum'

Comment

I wondered about Veale. The signature part looks a bit like that.
            Anne

Comment

Thank you ladies, I'll have to move on to the next entry. I opted for 'Male' since the Curate did form his 'M' rather similar in other instances. For the witness, I've gone for 'Mc Lallan' and hope their ancestors will forgive me if incorrect.

Comment

Have you tried to find the couple in the census? if it's early enough.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

The transcriber on Lancs BMD also thought that the groom's surname was "Male".

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X