Wax Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax Seals

I was wondering if anybody know's anything about wax seals, from the mid 1700's.

I visited Derbyshire Record Office yesterday, and saw an mortgage agreement between one of my ancestor's, and one of the local Duke's. Next to my ancestor's signature was a well preserved seal (this is the first time I have seen one where I can actually make out the imprint). The seal features a man's relief, and I was wondering if this was my ancestor himself, but cannot find much online about wax seals (I just find website after website about making my own seal).

Kind Regards,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

wouldn't the wax seal belong to the duke?

Comment

I don't think the seal was the Duke's. The signature at the bottom of the document read Thos (Seal) Dodd - it would be a weird place to put the seal of the Duke.

From what I have read, it was common for people in a trade (such as Butchers) to have seals as early as the mid middle ages, so I have no doubt that Thomas Dodd had a seal (he owned a Pottery in Derbyshire, and the mortgage was for over £3,000 in old money, so he certainly was not 'lower class').
      Families Intrested in
      Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

It could simply be his solicitors seal. Though most gentlemen would have their own.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

My great grandfather, who most certainly was not gentry, not even in his own mind, lol, nevertheless used a seal on most documents including business letters.

I still have an old cigar box half full of wax sticks which he used and a couple of the stamps he used too, one simply his signature, the other his masonic seal (I think).

OC

Comment

Working...
          X