Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Luton at 1901 then nothing...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Luton at 1901 then nothing...............

Hello, I have reached a dead end looking for my Gt Grandfather and wonder if anyone could suggest what I can do/where else can I look (with no clues). I have all his history from Birth up until
    he got married in May 1901, after that nothing. In 1904 his wife is with someone else (they did not marry) but she went on to have about 11 children. There is no record of Diovorce either. What
    other records/places can I check? I have done 30 years of Military searches with no results (he was medically discharged in 1898 from the Army). All checks on Migration have also failed. I appreciate that sometimes not all personal details given were accurate but those which have seemed to be very likely were way out with the age. Also, can anyone tell me how difficult it
    would have been (or not) to emigrate if you had a criminal record? He had been in prison three times for minor offences, the last time he came out in March 1901 to a very pregnant girlfriend,
    my Gt Nan !!

you'll need to give more information, such as census refs and birthplace.

Comment

Originally posted by enna View Post
      Hello, I have reached a dead end looking for my Gt Grandfather and wonder if anyone could suggest what I can do/where else can I look (with no clues). I have all his history from Birth up until
      he got married in May 1901, after that nothing. In 1904 his wife is with someone else (they did not marry) but she went on to have about 11 children. There is no record of Diovorce either. What
      other records/places can I check? I have done 30 years of Military searches with no results (he was medically discharged in 1898 from the Army). All checks on Migration have also failed. I appreciate that sometimes not all personal details given were accurate but those which have seemed to be very likely were way out with the age. Also, can anyone tell me how difficult it
      would have been (or not) to emigrate if you had a criminal record? He had been in prison three times for minor offences, the last time he came out in March 1901 to a very pregnant girlfriend,
      my Gt Nan !!
      Welcome to the forum!

We need to have the year and place of birth for John plus links for any records you have found so we can consider what best to advise.

Having a criminal record wouldn't necessarily mean he couldn't emigrate but he may just have changed his name if he abandoned your gt grandmother.

Margaret

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        Is the 2nd quarter 1901 marriage in Bethnal Green to Minnie Hatton your man? http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16...nSearchResults

and is this him in Wormwood Scrubs on the 1901 census? http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/78...l=ReturnRecord

I'm posting these links so those with Ancestry can see age, occupation, place of birth to help in the search forward.

If I've found the right man he was born about 1877 in Bethnal Green, previously a costermonger but a carman when he married

Update - have found his baptism in August 1879, son of Charles and Catherine, born July 1879
        Last edited by JudithM; 28-09-13, 18:30. Reason: added baptism
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

There is a John Luton marries In Bethnal Green 1c422 1901 June Qtr to either Ellen Clark or Minnie Hatton Free BMD

Edna

Comment

Sorry it has already been posted

Comment

Still working on the assumption that this is the right John Luton his father Charles was widowed and remarried in April 1910 in Spitalfields and it looks from the signature that your John was a witness at the ceremony so was still around and using his own name at that point in time. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16...nSearchResults

Comment

How about this line of enquiry:
                a John Luton married Louisa Ellson in Bethnal Green in Q 2 1914
                Louisa Ellson died aged 67 in Bethnal Green in Q2 1957 5c 148
                John Luton married Maria Simpson in Bethnal Green in Q1 1959 5c 265
                John Luton aged 73 died in Shoreditch district in Q1 1963 5d 666 (He is listed in the National Probate Calendar, John Luton of 6 Dundas House Bishops Way Bethnal Green, died 6 Feb 1963 in St Leonards Hospital, administration granted to Maria Luton widow, effects £561 14s)
                I know the age at death is about 10 years out but perhaps he shaved a few years off his age either in 1914, as he was about 10 years older than Louisa, or in 1959 when he married Maria (who according to her death entry in 1986 was born in 1908 so again there was a large age gap)

Comment

Thank you Judith! I'll look into it

Comment

Yes I've seen this and it maybe your right about him knocking off a few years, certainly worth a look into.

Comment

The Birthdate is incorrect my JL was born July (4th) 1979 but many thanks for that.

Comment

Ok sorry, here goes: Born July 1879, on Census 1891 in childrens home Kent. Served in forces and discharged 29/8/1898, then went to prison I
                        believe three times, the last time he was sentenced to six months in Oct 1900 and came out in March 1901. I can only assume he got my nan pregnant just before he went inside because when they married in May 1901 she had the Baby less than two weeks later in June 1901! Also I
                        found a John Luton right age being a policeman on the 1911 census but he has a middle initial whereas my John Luton doesn't show a middle
                        name - and could he join the police if he has a criminal record?

Comment

Originally posted by enna View Post
                          Ok sorry, here goes: Born July 1879, on Census 1891 in childrens home Kent. Served in forces and discharged 29/8/1898, then went to prison I
                          believe three times, the last time he was sentenced to six months in Oct 1900 and came out in March 1901. I can only assume he got my nan pregnant just before he went inside because when they married in May 1901 she had the Baby less than two weeks later in June 1901! Also I
                          found a John Luton right age being a policeman on the 1911 census but he has a middle initial whereas my John Luton doesn't show a middle
                          name - and could he join the police if he has a criminal record?
                          I saw that John but discounted it because of the criminal record - I doubt he would be allows into the force but it could depend on what his crimes were.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks for that Judith but I cannot find any record of his divorce from Minnie Hatton so im not sure he would have married again?

Comment

Back then people did not divorce as it was too expensive they just got on with marrying again as a single person, we all have records to prove this went on.

Edna

Comment

Which regiment did he serve with?
                                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

It was with Royal Warwickshire Reg

Comment

Thank you I did not know that!

Comment

There are WW1 Army records for a John Luton of about the right age. However he says that he previously served with Imperial Light Horse. He gives next of kin as Lillian Volvaske(?) Luton, who was living in Stratford.
                                      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                      X