Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FMP adds irish newspapers (warning attached)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP adds irish newspapers (warning attached)

WARNING- the below article states they are on the UK site, but they are NOT included in the UK subscription

New Irish newspapers

Excellent news for anyone with Irish ancestors: we've published historical Irish newspapers on findmypast.co.uk, in association with the British Library.

Search nearly two million pages from six local and national Irish newspaper titles to discover the stories the newspapers hold about your ancestors. View the articles with PayAsYouGo credits or browse to your heart's content with a World subscription.
    oh that is dodgy! i can't find them in the 'newspapers' section on the co.uk site. they are here:

still technically the UK site, but when i clicked on a random article, it deducted credits form my account (i have a UK site sub). so it is on the irish subscription i would think, and very misleading.....since the british library newspapers are included in the UK subscription, you would think these would too. but i suspected something fishy before i posted this.

They are getting 'dodgy' with this.

A couple of collections they have advertised as co.uk and when you get there they actually aren't.

Shame

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 28-09-13, 07:09.

Comment

Seems it is findmypast.IE

Foxyloxy

Comment

I have not yet tried the link but as I understand if you have World Wide FMP as I have, then you have access to FMP.ie which should then make available the Irish Newspapers?

Janet

Comment

It should do!:o
          Foxyloxy

Comment

Kylejustin,

"View the articles with PayAsYouGo credits or browse to your heart's content with a World subscription
            . "

I have just looked at FMP and the problem appears to me to be that you have to put in a name to research the newspapers. You do not seem able to just browse the newspapers, though once I am into the newspaper section I can usually browse by place by using the keywords.

Where it says search I keyed in a name of Irish interest for me and clicked on Irish collection and then once in Clicked on Irish newspapers. Now you can only access this for free with the World Sub, but then you can only access the British Newspapers with the World Sub, so I cannot see anything dodgy about this?

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 28-09-13, 12:56.

Comment

I think it is misleading - like Ancestry, there is findmypast.co & fimdmypast.com.

It is advertised on the findmypast.co newsletter

"Fantastic news for family historians! We're proud to announce the launch of our Irish Newspaper collection. Digitised in partnership with the British Library, Irish newspapers are a rich resource for genealogists in search of their Irish roots. ......To make sure those of you with ancestors on the mainland don't lose out, we've also added new papers to our British collection from Dundee to Kent too. "

I think this implies that those with "full" subscriptions, entitled to view the new "mainland" records, are also able to view the Irish ones as part of their "full" subscription. (As opposed to "worldwide" or membership of findmypast.com)

I can use the index and get hits, but can't view the images.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-09-13, 13:07.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The British Newspapers have always clearly been marked as only available to those with Worldwide Sub on FMP so I would naturally think that the Irish newspapers would also fall into this category, as the digitisation is being done through the British Library.

Are we forgetting here that Ireland pre 1922 was under British rule, and that most of the Irish newspapers are accessible through the British Library. Because Colindale Newspaper libary is now virtually closed, and has moved the hard copies to Yorkshire, the British Library is digitising and eventually making all newspapers available online, but it is costly to do, so we cannot expect to get this for free. FMP also clearly state that to access these records should be done through FMP UK and not try to access through other sites. This was made clear to me when I inadvertently tried to access through another site. The newspapers and the Irish section was the main reason for me getting a World Wide sub for FMP and it is still cheaper than taking out separate subs for FMP UK/FMP .ie and Newspapers Online.

I am no fan of misleading tactics by anybody, but W Wide sub for FMP is now still £149, whereas Ancestry W Wide Sub has just shot up to £199, which did stagger me, but I have until June 2014 to decide what I am going to do about that one.

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 28-09-13, 14:30.

Comment

i think it is misleading, because i have a UK sub and can access the british newspapers. they include english, welsh and scottish ones. and if you need an irish or worldwide sub, why are they added to to co.uk? why not say they are going on the irish site? by including them as part of the 'british library' collection they are implying you don't need an irish sub.

Comment

"The British Newspapers have always clearly been marked as only available to those with Worldwide Sub on FMP so I would naturally think that the Irish newspapers would also fall into this category, as the digitisation is being done through the British Library."

British newspapers on FMP have ALWAYS been available to those subscribing to FULL membership. I know that to be correct as I have a full sub and can access the full range of British newspapers.

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-09-13, 15:12.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have just looked at FMP and yes Janet that is correct that you do access the British Newspapers through both full and world.

I suppose the problem is the fact that until about a year ago FMP.ie could only be accessed by payment of another £70, but by the time I came to renew October 2012 they had introduced the World Sub, to include Ireland, so I went for it. Now that same World Sub includes the Irish Newspapers, which can be accessed, as they say quite correctly through the UK site with a World Sub, so I still do not see this as misleading. I did not know when I did this that the Irish newspapers were also going to be available through the British Library, though I am very pleased that they are.

The Irish records are coming online through the National Archives Ireland(Dublin site) and although the British Libary is making the Irish newspapers available, I would imagine there must be some collusion between NA Dublin and the British Library. However BL does not hold all the Irish newspapers, and I wonder if this will be the start to get them all online eventually, but more through NA rather than BL. Dublin and Cork are the main beneficiaries of this at present, and there are no newspapers for Tipperary online, though I have accessed a very limited number of Tipperary and Limerick papers through Colindale.

Are the other newspapers around the World available to those with a Full rather than a World Sub? If they are, then there is some anomaly, but if not, then Ireland is the rest of the world these days.

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 28-09-13, 16:34.

Comment

You could always check the cost of the FMP World sub. Mine was $59 last year and the same this year.

Comment

It would be £143 .95, with the 10% loyalty discount.

Additionally I have a full sub for the British newspaper archive site, also owned by Brightsolid. Some Irish newspaper articles are included in that; I have not checked whether or not these are the same ones which now feature on FMP.
                          I still think Brightsolid are naughty - I joined BNA to get access to newspapers. Shortly afterwards they introduced a newspaper collection as part of the FMP full subscription package. The coverage is not quite compatible - most articles appear on both the BNA & FMP, but there are a few articles which appear on only one of the sites. If there was less coverage (and with no additional extra articles ) on FMP I wouldn't mind so much.
                          Perhaps they are doing the same with Irish newspapers. In which case, I think that is rather unfair when they already have a dedicated newspaper site with an annual sub of £79.95.
                          Scrapping the British newspapers on all versions of FMP and keeping them on the dedicated site would, IMO, be a fairer policy to their subscribers. At present, you need a subscription to more than one of their sites for total access to the full resource.

Jay
                          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-09-13, 11:57.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Unfortunately all these commercial sites have most people grinding their teeth as we want to use their records but we either have to buy costly credits or costly subs. I have to have both Ancestry and FMP World subs as both offer different areas of research for my needs. I am happy with newspapers on FMP as I only have two main county interests that of Devon and Northants and both have good coverage on FMP. I have also had good results from everything I look up country wide and have found much Irish history in the English newspapers so I have not needed to use the newspapers online site.

What I find very worrying is that new people joining my Family History groups are finding FH too expensive and are trying to research without buying certs, subs or credits. It I is only going to get worse not better.

Janet

Comment

I have had time to investigate this issue a bit more thoroughly and it seems that the Irish newspaper coverage now available on FMP (with a worldwide sub) may be the same as what is offered on the BNA site. At least, the same newspapers are listed on each site.
                              I think anyone who has subscribed to both FMP worldwide and also the BNA will not be very happy about this; paying twice to the same company for the same resource.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

If I remember rightly there was some thread on here about a year ago about FMP and the Irish site with UK newspapers coming online at about the same time as the newspaper online came on. Some people jumped in with a sub to the newspaper site but I was waiting to see what FMP would come up with in October and I got a reduced World sub with Irish site and newspapers as well and I was pleased, but others were very unhappy.

Janet

Comment

The BNA site was up and running quite a while before Brightside decided to include ANY British newspapers in any of their FMP packages.

I have been VERY happy with my findings on the BNA - newspaper articles have really put flesh on the bones of some of the poor and otherwise anonymous members of my extended family studies. Poor great aunt Bridie; married to a man with numerous court appearances due to him being too fond of the drink and one when he was accused of rape, although that case was dismissed. They lived in a sub-standard hovel (described and discussed at local board meetings ) which was eventually condemned, but gt-uncle had to be served with an eviction order before he eventually moved his family out. Her son had an accident in the docks where he worked and suffered serious head injuries for 18 months, eventually dying after a 6 month spell in hospital. Without the newspaper reports I would have had no conception of the awful life that marriage dealt her.

I think out of all the websites, BNA is the one that I wouldn't have wanted to be without as it's also been invaluable for my local history projects.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                    The BNA site was up and running quite a while before Brightside decided to include ANY British newspapers in any of their FMP packages.

I have been VERY happy with my findings on the BNA - newspaper articles have really put flesh on the bones of some of the poor and otherwise anonymous members of my extended family studies. Poor great aunt Bridie; married to a man with numerous court appearances due to him being too fond of the drink and one when he was accused of rape, although that case was dismissed. They lived in a sub-standard hovel (described and discussed at local board meetings ) which was eventually condemned, but gt-uncle had to be served with an eviction order before he eventually moved his family out. Her son had an accident in the docks where he worked and suffered serious head injuries for 18 months, eventually dying after a 6 month spell in hospital. Without the newspaper reports I would have had no conception of the awful life that marriage dealt her.

I think out of all the websites, BNA is the one that I wouldn't have wanted to be without as it's also been invaluable for my local history projects.

Jay
                                    I have found the same so it sounds as though we are both very happy with our respective sites.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                                    X