Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administration left unadministered

Just curious about an Admin..
    30 April 1874 Administration of the effects of TSP who died 26 July 1842 left unadministerd by his widow the relict was granted to Richard the administrator of the effects of Mary Ellen spinster the daughter and one of the next of kin former Grant at Winchester April 1844. The administration granted by the said court in March 1855 having ceased and expired.

TSP dies . they have 2 children and one of them, Mary Ellen dies aged 16 in 1858 and the marries and lives until 1907... TSP's widow marries again and is widowed three times...
    What could happen to prevent an administration being administered and then administered 30 years later.. ??

I have come across cases where the final administration of a will occurs on the death of the last remaining of widow/spinster daughter due to the winding up of a trust fund paying out income to them. Did the widow die in 1874? Left unadministered is a term sometimes used when the person granted probate or Letters of Administration dies before completing the administration

Comment

Apathy/ignorance is also often a cause of non administration.

Another reason is where admon would upset someone's comfortable existence...example, unmarried son living with his elderly mother, she dies, why would he be in a hurry to take out admon if it would mean he would have to sell the house and share it with an estranged brother.

All you can really gather from such a situation is that it was in no-one's best interests to administer the estate.

OC

Comment

The widow married again and TSP's father was still alive.. then Mary Ellen died so maybe the father had no reason to deal with it....I know little about inheritance etc so was surprised that the will or lack of will had taken 30 years to resolve... but as stated above not unusual.
        The odd thing is that after posting I decided to double check my information about the family in case I had to answer questions and discovered that I had made a mistake, now have to change a marriage

Comment

Working...
        X