William Thomas Asher Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Thomas Asher Day

I have three men on my husband's maternal side with the same name - William Thomas Asher Day.

I first of all want to get some information on the earliest of these, my husband's great grandfather, born in St. Marylebone in 1847 to William and Elizabeth Day.

I have all source information from his Baptism to his Death in 1918; all the censuses in between, and his marriage in Chatham, Kent in 1874, where his Occupation is shown as Sapper, Royal Engineers.

What I need help with is finding out about him as a Sapper from his time at the School of Military Engineering, Chatham, Kent.

The 1871 Census shows him there in the Barracks at the School. I have looked on the Royal Engineers website to see if there is an archive of soldiers' details, with no luck. I really would like to find out when he signed on and when he was discharged.

Having read many of the postings on this site, I know there are some great sleuths out there! Any ideas?

Angela

Find my past has a large collection of military records.
    Perhaps you could look on that site to see if there are any likely records in the databases, and if there are, then you can purchase some pay as you go credits.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for getting back, Jay.
      I have a subscription for FMP as well as Ancestry, and have had a look at their military records, with no luck so far.

Angela

Comment

could try the muster rolls as a long shot

Lorraine

Comment

If discharge papers have survived, they should be on FMP - bear in mind that he may have enlisted as just William Day, without the middle names. If he's not there, then there will be records for him at the National Archives, such as pension records, assuming he was discharged to pension, although an idea of roughly when he might have been discharged would be needed to search. There are also Muster Rolls which would give a quarter by quarter account of where he was serving and it would therefore be possible to trace his whole career from those
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

There is a William Day born abt 1850 in Marylebone on the FMP army records ? a Gunner in The Royal Artillery number 2608

Comment

I've just looked for your William Thomas Asher Day birth reg and its recorded in 1847 Shoreditch not Marylebone?

Comment

Working...
              X