Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hague Archives, Netherlands

Good day friends,
    I contacted the archives here in south africa, regarding information on my ancestor, and i was referred to the hague archives in the netherlands.

Do any of you know how i can possibly get into contact with someone at the Hague archives ?
    How will i be able to obtain information from them ?

thanks for any help
    regards
    FS2702

Like most archives, if you can't visit personally they offer a paid for research service, or you can commission a local researcher to visit on your behalf.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

If you are looking for BMD's there are millions of records on FamilySearch, but they are not indexed so you need to have rough idea of where in the Netherlands your ancestors came from. I have been using these records for some time, so let me know if you want any help.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thank you folks, and thank you ozgirl.

Basically, my ancestor boarded a ship commissioned by the VOC to the Cape of Good Hope.

Information on the ship can be found here.

I require passenger lists, with his name on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it.
        Last edited by FamilySearcher2702; 24-09-13, 07:14.

Comment

Also, he arrived in 1758.

Comment

Try this page - he might be here, Hercules is one of the ships listed.

http://vocopvarenden.nationaalarchief.nl/search.aspx
            Linda

Comment

hi ozgirl,
              Thank you very much, i found him, however i was hoping it would show things like his date of birth or at the very least his age. Do you know if the archives kept that type of information ?

Here are the search results

Detailgegevens

Gegevens van Anthonij Gherver uit Epsig

18-10-1757 14-02-1764
              Soldaat Vrijburger
              Hercules Kaap de Goede Hoop
              Nee Ja
              Gegevens van de vaart
              Hercules 18-10-1757
              Zeeland 19-01-1758
              23-02-1758
              190 26-05-1758
              Batavia

Comment

Hi, I had a quick look on the archives website, and the above record seems to be the only thing they have, so probably would not have any more info. A quick Google, and I found a few mentions of him on other Genealogical forums - the consensus seems to be that his name was Franz Anton Gerber, and that he came from Epfig in France - dob is given as somewhere between 1717 and 1740. According to websites mentioning Franz Anton he died in South Africa in 1793 at the age of 68 - would this be something you can confirm. If so that would give an approximate dob of 1725 and place of Epfig, but now it is over to French records. I think there is someone on here who can give you more info on those, I'm afraid I haven't used them.
                Linda

Comment

Hi,
                  I browsed the Epfig records and found two instances of the person.

One in 1724 and the other in 1739. His name is actually Anthony. Franz Anton is incorrect. He did die in 1793, however i need at least his age to confirm somewhat what his birth year is.

Anyway, thanks for your help Ozgirl.

Comment

Working...
                  X