When did birth registration come into force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did birth registration come into force

I have been researching my family tree for 2 years now, and cannot find my great great grandfather birth at all. His age on census marriage and death cerificates do not match and so his birth can be within a 10 year radius. I'm beginning to think he wasn't registered. Any pointers please? I'm new to the forum so any help on here will be gratefully accepted.

Civil registration in England and Wales started in 1837 though some births were not registered as a) parents thought if the child was baptised they didn't need to register and b) to start with it was the responsibility of the registrar to seek out births. Penalties for parents who didn't register births came in later.

Sorry I should have said Welcome to the forum Joanne
    Why not give us his name and the details you do have and see if one of the sleuths on here can help?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Welcome to the forum.. depends on what country, in England and Wales 1 July 1837 although it took a few years for people to catch on and many didn't like the 'big brother' approach so didn't register until they found that by not registering they missed out on other things and after a couple of years people were fined for not registering within x number of weeks of the birth, so at first you can find some not registered as well as some registered late and lied about te DoB so they didn't get fined.

Scotland's registration began on 1st January 1855.

In Ireland prior to 1864, churches kept all records of births, marriage and deaths in Ireland. As early as 1845, the government began requiring registration of all non-catholic marriages. In 1864, all registration records were recorded by the government. The original records from 1845-1921 for all of Ireland are in Dublin, after 1922 NI are in Belfast
      Foxyloxy

Comment

hi, his name was George Jervis at death 27.3.1922 aged 64, but on his marriage he was Jarvis. Father was Richard Jarvis and married Margaret Caton in 1877. At marriage George Jarvis was 25. date of marriage 26.3.1877. he was born according to census denbeigh wales, or monmouthshire llangollen. if anyone can help please do. I have found 2 births and got certificates but they are wrong. The ones wrong are George Jarvis 1854 wrexham qrt 1 vol 11b pg 296, and the other one george Jarvis 1847 qtr 3 vol 27 pg 242.

Comment

Where did he die? Which census have you found him in? Is he with his parents?

Comment

What about George Jarvis Q2 1855, Great Boughton. FreeBMD says Gt Boughton is on the borders of Cheshire and Flintshire.
            Anne

Comment

hi, he died in Preston lancashire. He lived in Preston lancashire with wife margaret. In 1891 census lived at melling st preston was a grocer and in 1901 lady st preston a grocer and in 1911 lady st, still a grocer. I think i have him in 1851 census aged 3 living with his mother, Elizabeth Jervis and brothers and sisters. In 1841, same lady with her husband and 1st 3 children Richard Jarvis and Elizabeth jarvis children thomas, Joseph and john Jarvis. born in Llansasant ffraid glyn ceiriog. In 1851, Elizabeth jervis with 8 children Thomas, Joseph, John, Jane, Elizabeth, Richard, George and Annie. I have George and margaret marriage certificate and shows his father deceased named Richard jarvis. Thanks for any help

Comment

The date of death doesn't seem very close to the other dates. Census and age at marriage indicate a birth year of 1851 or 52.
                By the way its Llangollen Merionethshire on the 1891 census.
                Still looking
                Anne

Comment

I think this must be your family:

In 1841 there was a family headed by Richard JARVIS 25 a woolen weaver and wife Elizabeth 25 living in Corwen Denbighshire HO107 piece 1401 folio 11/16 page 9
                  In 1851 Elizabeth JERVIS pauper widow of a weaver, aged 40 was living with children including Richard aged 5 and George aged 3 in Llansantffraid, Denbigh HO107 piece 2509 folio 611 page 15
                  In 1861 Richard JERVIS aged 14 and George JERVIS aged 12 both born Llansaintffraid Glyn Ceiriog, Denbighshire were living and working at a mill in Corwen registration district RG09 piece 4313 folio 47 page 8

So it looks like George was born between 1847 and 1848. May be he lied about his age at marriage to make the age gap look less

Looking at Corwen registration district it seems the older brother Richard in this family was registered Q3 1846 Corwen 27 139
                  and younger sister Ann in Q1 1850 Corwen 27 136
                  but no sign of George's registration. Either they didn't get round to registering him or it has been missed from the index or mistranscribed. If you think this is your family the birth certs for one of these siblings would give parents details, or perhaps you could find a baptism for George?

Comment

judith this is the family I have found, but not found the births of Richard his brother or Anne. will look into those. thanks for your help.

Comment

Ah, beat me to it Judith. :o
                      Anne

Comment

maybe this baptism is his?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

you can contact the LDS and ask them for a copy of this, it is free of charge, it may help/discount him.

i'll see if I can find the link

found it: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...ation_Services
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-09-13, 14:46. Reason: adding link
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It's from FMP - can someone look there for it, plus look for the siblings?

Comment

Hmm. That one (on family search) is an image and the PR says George son of Thomas and Cordelia Jarvis, gents servant of Brynhyfrgd(?)
                            Anne
                            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 23-09-13, 16:19.

Comment

From an image
                              14 June 1848, Richard Jarvis son of Richard and Martha Jarvis, collier, Rhosg
                              There don't seem to be any others on FMP for children of Richard in Denbeighshire
                              Anne
                              Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 23-09-13, 16:25.

Comment

So that one is not the family in Corwen in 1841 or 51.
                                Perhaps they were Methodists or similar?
                                Anne

Comment

This is probably the marriage image is on FMP.
                                  Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog, Denbighshire
                                  Richard Jarvis bachelor of this parish married Elizabeth Edwards spinster otp
                                  By banns and with the consent of parents (ie they were under 21)
                                  25 Decemer 1833

If you ordered the birth cert of Richard (age 5 in 1841) it would tell you if Elizabeth was Edwards.
                                  Anne
                                  Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 23-09-13, 17:03.

Comment

Richard's death is probably Q3 1848 Corwen
                                    So maybe Ann in 1841 is not his child???
                                    Anne

Comment

The only George Jarvis birth registered in Corwen between 1837 and 1859 is in Dec 1844.
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

i can't spot that one in 1851 but there was a death of George Jarvis q2 1846 in Corwen which may be that George.

Comment

Working...
                                        X