Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice wanted - how would you record this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice wanted - how would you record this?

My great-great-grandmother died in childbirth on the 27 August 1863, in Indonesia. The child was unfortunately stillborn, but was recorded in the births register according to Dutch laws. However his dob is recorded as 28 August 1863 - the day after his other died. As most Dutch records are done within a couple of days of the event, and as it would have most likely have been my great great grandfather who registered both, do you think I should record them as stated in the records (even though my FTM throws a wobbly) or should I amend one?

Must admit I've never come across a child born after the death of his mother before :D
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Have you seen the original record? If not, it is surely a transcription mistake.

I suppose it is just possible the mother died close to midnight and the child was born just after midnight.

OC

Comment

Unfortunately there are no original records, as we have in this country. A lot of the records from Indonesia were destroyed during the war or once Indonesia gained Independence, very little of this time period remains. What I have comes from the Almanacs which were contemporary, so this was from the lists of all BMDs in Indonesia in the year 1863. I have the scan of the original almanac and it definitely says those dates.

I wondered about the before/after midnight thing myself - the fact that it was a stillborn might mean that they tried to deliver the baby even though she had died in the hope of saving it.
      Linda

Comment

Well, the rules are "record as found" so I think I would try to do that, with explanatory notes. If your programme won't let you, then still put explanatory notes!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, will do that
          Linda

Comment

Working...
          X