And I thought this one would be easy :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I thought this one would be easy :(

Any help appreciated. A friend asked me to try to find info on her grandparents - William Jonathan Flaxman and Maud Mary Matilda Collins. All she knew was probably North London area. Her mother was Doris Lilian Flaxman.

I found their marriage (but not the lovely view thing of the register ) on ancestry at St Pancras in 1905. I found Doris LIlian, their daughter born pretty sharpish a few months later in 1906.

Now in 1911 Doris Lilian is with the Collins grandparents and no sign of mum and dad.

I have found a birth index of a William Jonathan Flaxman born cJan 1883 in Islington, which may be the right man. But , can anyone see William and Maud in 1911 please or William J earlier than that? Hang on, just found William with dad Jonathan (must be them) in St Pancras in the 1901!

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 20-09-13, 15:51.

Doris Liian with grandparents William and Julia Collins http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=2

Maud Flaxman (with another child, Edward) with step grandparents William and Susan Cordy http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=4

Marriage of William and Julia Collins - witnesses William and Susan Cordy http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16...nSearchResults

Apologies for the rather perfunctory posting - it was the only way I could explain it!
    Sue

Comment

am looking Heather, but not seeing much at the moment!
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there is this one, you need to ask your friend if she can remember any of her grandparents siblings

1891: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...v=1&ml_rpos=21
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your help - Mary cant remember anything as Maud died in 1925 (just found that!) and William remarried - just going to look for that.

Currently going back in the Norfolk connection got through all the census - odd how Mary has ended up here in Norfolk like me when we were both born in London and now her folks also Norfolk people

Im thinking that Maud Flaxman with baby Edward is the right wife shown as step grandaughter with the Cordys in 1911 but where is William Jonathan in 1911? Jail, at sea, ill?
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 20-09-13, 16:10.

Comment

Oh thanks sue, just seen the info re the Collins/Cordy connection - have to get my head round the relationship there now

Comment

What about this one, serving in India? I know he says he's single, but it could explain why he's away & the gap between the children

ETA - is this the one Felix referred to? I can't open his link.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-09-13, 16:53.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi people, thanks so much.

The soldier is definitely not him - he turns up on earlier census with a different dad and living/born Norfolk (no doubt a distant rellie though)

The coachman, I suppose thats a possibility but its two years out and there are a lot several William Flaxmans in the area

Comment

If the death in Epsom that Felix found in post #4 is your William J Flaxman, he may well have been a patient at one of the many mental hospitals in the area. Maybe that's where he was in 1911.
                  My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Hi there - I had thought that may be his death too but his wife died in 1925 and my friend said he remarried after that but she doesnt know the new wifes name. It looks like the 2 year old Edward died as a child, bless him.
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 20-09-13, 20:17.

Comment

Heather seeing as he is a Civil service clerk in 1901 I have found a William Fairfut born abt 1883 Islington in the 1911 census in Islington as a Boarder says Civil service Clerk and cannot find another of that name in FMP anywhere ???

Transcribed as Fairfull on Ancestry
                      Last edited by Guest; 20-09-13, 21:00.

Comment

Oooh lookee here

Although it says female, on the actual image it definitely is a man. A possibility?
                        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

1891 William I Flaxman born abt 1883 Islington living in 12 Southampton Road St Pancras

Comment

I don't know if its any help in your searches but only yesterday I came across a Flaxman mis spelled in an original record as Laxman. Its a problem if the first letter is wrong!
                            Anne

Comment

Thanks again people

Sue, dont think that can be him, the extra initial and the job as hammerman? I wouldnt have thought he would change occupation so much? What Mary needs to do really is buy a few certs as sadly his marriage isnt on ancestry - also the kids birth cert/death cert would be useful for her.

So grateful for all the effort you have kindly put in

Comment

Right guys, Id not helped a friend with their family history for some time so Id forgotten that they never give you all or the correct info.

Saw my friend today and said how Id not been able to find another marriage for her grandfather after grans death. That I had found a death in Epsom but as she said he had married and had two more kids, assumed that wasnt him. I then, tactfully, asked whether he had been ill at all which may account for him not being with his wife and kids in 1911 "Not really - though my aunt did tell me when I was little that he was arrested for running naked down the street in Kensington" Erm, I think SUE, may be that death in Epsom is him and that he may well have been in an asylum? And that family embarrassment has embellished the story to say he disappeared after his "remarriage".

I am going to sit down with her in the week and go through the stuff Ive found back to the 18th century so far and also bring up your theory re the Epsom death/asylums SUE. Obviously this now seems a real possibility and she will have to purchase the cert to see if it helps.

ONCE again, many thanks to everyone who helped me.

Comment

Hi. I can provide information on the origins of Julia Collins nee Bennett if required.

Comment

Hi. My name is Marion Standing nee Collins, and as far as I can track it back my father was Anthony Frederick Braun, he was brought up as Anthony Frank Collins by William and Laura Collins. He never knew who he was, and died not knowing the truth about his family.

William Collins is brother to Maud Mary Matilda Flaxman, nee Collins, aka Maud Mary Matilda Braun. She died in 1925 of a brain tumour when my father was two. The birth certificate for Anthony Frederick Braun shows the mother as Maud Mary Matilda Braun, nee Collins, and the father is Percival Broquant Braun. There is another child of this union called Joan. In between these two children, Percival Broquant Braun married another Maud.

My dad remembered the name Flaxman, and knew that he had been born in St Pancras/Marylebone, within the sound of Bow Bells, so he said.

I would be delighted to get in touch with the woman who you are doing this investigation for.

I found your message and joined this forum so that I could specifically speak to you Heather. I know that this is now two years since you were posting about this, but hopefully you still come on to this forum.

Comment

Hi Marion and welcome to FTF
                                      If you send Heather a Private Message and her e-mail address hasn't changed she should get a message from FTF telling her that she has received one. If you click on her name at the side of her post you will see how to do it.
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you Chrissie - I have sent her a private message, and hopefully she will respond. This is very exciting for me, as I have come to a bit of a dead end, and seeing her post was like opening a door.

Comment

Working...
                                        X