4th November 1944 Rosie Galapagos Halifax LV771

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th November 1944 Rosie Galapagos Halifax LV771

The families of 3 of the 7 crew from the above aircraft which was lost on 4.11.1944 would like to make contact with any of the other 4 families concerned by this very sad event. 5 of the crew were killed and 2 were taken POWs. The plane took off from RAF Lissett and was part of a large raid of 749 aircraft on Bochum in Germany. The crew were:
    Flying Officer Nigel Bruce Carrall Australian Air Force
    Flying Officer R (Bob) McPherson RAF (Scottish)
    Flying Officer Terence J McGrath Australian Air Force
    Flying Officer Donald James Taylor Marr RAF
    Sergeant Ronald C Wood RAF (POW)
    Sergeant Ronald A Gorton RAF (POW)
    Sergeant Horace Lindsay RAF
    Please contact us if you have any information.

You'll find brief details of the Australians here:

and the Australian National Archives site (sign in as a guest and use the Basic Search) has their service records and casualty files, which should contain the name and address of next of kin:

Ancestry has Australian electoral rolls up to 1980, which may help.

I suppose you've already tried the 158 Squadron website?

Comment

The wind turbines at Lissett are quite a talking point today - this video clip links the present with the past

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Might be worth checking Ancestry family trees when you get more information such as birth dates/year etc.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you for your response. I was given the Australian Archives website a couple of months ago. It has so much information: photos, correspondence, telegrams, list of personal effects returned to next of kin, really interesting.
          I didn't know about the Australian electoral rolls - that will be worth looking at. I have looked at the 158 Squadrons and found some info via that route.Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for sending me the link. I would like to go up and see the Memorial as soon as possible.

Comment

I have started that with one family but lost the trail after the 1st child was born. Work in progress but thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
              X