Was she homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was she homeless?

I have been trying to find my grandmother in the 1911 census. Her birth name was Mary Jane Jones. She married John Smith (I have never found this marriage but have the names from my mother's birth certificate. John died approx 1910 and my mother said that Mary remarried a John Knight. I have tried for ages to find my mother Ada (born 1907) and her mother in the 1911 census but have not had any luck. All I knew was that they lived in Islington. I had assumed that I would have found them living together in 1911 but didn't have any luck. I have found Mary's remarriage to John Knight and have just received the marriage certificate. On that it says that they were married in April 1911 and that Mary lived at 31 Bremerton Street, Islington. I looked at Bremerton Street on FMP but couldn't find Mary. However, when I looked at the enumerator's book images - list- there is a Smith listed at no 31 between Dineen family and Biggs family yet it says that the property is uninhabited. There is no actual census form filled in by a Smith. I have found an Ada Smith of the age my mother was in 1911 living at the Islington Guardians School which I believe was a poorhouse.

So my question is, do you think I have found my mother and grandmother.? I am wondering if, after my grandfather died, my mother was put into a home and my grandmother , Mary, was homeless - possibly living rough at Bremerton Street.

Charity

The FMP images are referenced as Bemerton Street (no R). If you search under John Dineen b 1832 Ireland, you can view the image and then use the previous & next buttons to view the other households.
    No 31 seems to have been a multi-occupancy residence. There is a sheet for the Dineens and then another sheet, which has the beginning mangled and crossed through, and then the Biggs entry. This could mean that the original resident had moved out and a new tenant moved in, who amended the form. I don't think the crossed out entry was for a Smith though.

The enumerator's records show that dwelling as unoccupied, so I guess "Smith" perhaps vacated between the form being left and collected.

What was the precise date of the marriage? Census night was Sunday 2nd April, so the forms would have been distributed a little before that date. Your Mary could have rented a room there but moved on by census night, could have lodged with another tenant, or could just have given that address in order to comply with the residency requirements leading up to the marriage.
    What was John Knight's address, was it nearby? What was the exact date of the marriage and was it registrar's office or church/chapel?

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-09-13, 12:33.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for you reply Jay.
      The wedding took place at Islington Register Office on 22 April April 1911. John's address is 15 Albion Street but I cannot find him there. I found a John Knight on FMP living at Rowton House Lodging House for men, St Pancras. This John is 29 and a carman which is what the marriage certificate state.
      One of the witnesses at the marriage was a William Arthur Doy and a William Doy was living at Bemerton Street as per the census - I made an error in my original post, the address should be Bemerton Street.
      I have struggled for several years to try and track down my grandmother and I thought I was getting closer!
      Charity

Comment

So we know she was still Mary Smith when census was taken - lol, commonest female name in England! Did the marriage cert give an age for her?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Her marriage certificate states that she is 32 -which is not quite right as my Mary Jane would be 37. John Knight was 29. However I think it is my Mary Jane as it gives her father as David Jones which is correct.
          I have looked for Mary Jane for several years. She was born on 5 July 1874 at Wilderspool, Appleton, Cheshire which I believe is near Warrington. Her parents were
          Caroline & David Jones. I have her in the 1881 census living in Appleton Cheshire then she disappears. All I know is that at some point she married a John Smith who worked on the railways. As my mother was born in Barnsbury district, Islington I assume he worked at Kings Cross or St. Pancras. I don't know when they married only that my mother was born in 1907 and she had a brother ,Walter, who was about 3 years older. I can remember my mother saying that her mother was remarried to a John Knight so am fairly certain I have the right marriage. I have not found Walter in the 1911 census either.
          Unfortunately, as you pointed out Jay, my grand mother and grandfather had the most commonest names in England.

I will be away for a week but would be grateful for any suggestions anyone can make.
          Many thanks
          Charity

Comment

there are some railway records on Ancestry what year was John Smith born

Comment

Hello Val
              Unfortunately I don't know where or when he was born! When I get back from my holiday I will have a look at the railway records. i didn't know they were on Ancestry.
              As I am supposed to be packing I shall have to stop searching now and throw some things into a case.

Thanks for your help
              Charity

Comment

have a good holiday

Comment

I think this might be Mary in 1891 she is a servant in a house but gives her place of birth as Wilderspool,

1891: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...v=1&ml_rpos=35
                  Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3074; Folio: 125; Page: 28; GSU Roll: 6098184.

I will have another look to see if I can find her in 1901.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hello Darksecretz
                    Am back from holiday and will be trying to track down my grandmother! Yes, that is her in 1891 but after that she seems to vanish. I have tried looking for her in later census using Wilderspool and Warrington as her birthplace but so far no joy. Thanks for your help.
                    Charity

Comment

Hi Charity,

on Marys m/cert to John Knight, does it state that she is a widow or single please. Also do you know the witness' names. and what are they please. [family members??]

I will have another look and see if I can come up with anything glad you enjoyed your holiday
                      Julie

Comment

oops sorry Charity. I have just read the thread again and see the witness names [Duh!!] will have another look!.
                        Julie

Comment

not having much luck :(
                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                          X