Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army in World War 2 question

Hi

I have what is probably a very vague question about serving in the British army in WW2. I have a relative who enlisted in 1939 and survived the war. But he seems to have enlisted using his dad's first name and their own surname. He was 27 and married so it wasn't because he was underage. But he had been arrested in 1934 and perhaps went to prison briefly - could that have been why?

Sorry, I'm woefully ignorant about military matters.

Thanks all once again.
    Last edited by Felix; 21-09-13, 05:57.

My dad enlisted under his second given name because there was already a man with the same first name and surname. It was merely a question of distinguishing between them and I don't actually know which name my dad answered to in daily life in the army.

Whatever the reason in your case it wasn't because the chap had been in prison. Having been a criminal was absolutely no bar to being sent to the front to be killed.

OC

Comment

Yes, I thought having been arrested once quite a few years ago wouldn't be much of a problem in 1939. My guy didn't actually have a second name but I think he could have used his dad's for a similar reason to your dad did. Every second man who joined up must have been a John or a George or an Edward or a Frederick.

Comment

Working...
      X