Mastering Genealogical Proof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastering Genealogical Proof

Has anyone on the forum read Mastering Genealogical Proof by Thomas W Jones?
    It is a book published by the National Genealogical Society in the United States.

I haven't read it, Hilary.. have you?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have a copy as I have been following a US based study group for the book which discusses how to conduct your research and adhere to the Genealogical Proof Standard as used by the Board for Certification of Genealogists in the US see http://www.bcgcertification.org/resources/standard.html
      These standards can equally apply to anyone researching across the globe.
      The reason I posted this was because there are plans to set up a similar study group of researchers based in the UK.
      Whilst the sources used in the UK can differ, the process of evaluating where to find the information and when you find the information how you assess what you have found is one that crosses the globe.
      Because this book has only been published in the US I suspect that most UK researchers would not have seen it or even have heard of it, but I think it could prove a useful book for many, if you realise that examples may not be quite the type of document you might use here in the UK.

Comment

Hilary

The Society of Genealogists (SOG) here in the UK has a set of "rules" for proof of events. Briefly summed up, it is (at least) three pieces of primary source documentation.

Although I haven't read the book you refer to, I can't imagine the rules of proof will be much different.

OC

Comment

Working...
        X